Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what engine bolts are reliable to reuse?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Nov 4, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

my rod 7 is broken rod after spinning a bearing. i plan to replace rod 7 and probably rod 8. it makes sense to me to replace all the main bearings and rod bearings while i'm in there. i've reused main bolts and head bolts before, on other engines, so i don't think they should be a problem. is it ok to reuse the rod bolts from on the intact rods, or would i just be asking for trouble? dang things are pricey, but cheaper than the engine flying apart, of course.

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Maybe....but do you want to risk it on a maybe?

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you lost a lower end bearing that engine needs to come completely apart and get cleaned out. You also need to find out why the bearing spun. Those two rods may not be the only ones with a problem.

New rod bolts are cheap insurance. How many times do you want to tear it apart?

4. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

yeah, it'll get a nice cleaning once i pull it. and i am pretty sure of the cause of the spun bearing. found a big wad of crap plugging up the oil passage. the engine built up plenty of gunk in the 22 years before i bought the truck. the rest of the rotating assembly is properly lubed.