Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what engine to put in my 89 K5 with fuel injection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado_K5, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Silverado_K5

Silverado_K5 1/2 ton status

Hey all,

I would like to know what kind of horsepower engine that I could replace my stock 350 tbi with and retain the tbi. I know that GM makes replacement 350 tbi engines, but they're only 210 hp like the original units. I would like to know what some of you have done to replace your stock underpowered tbi motor. I was also thinking of building a motor myself with the vortec heads, cam, tri y headers, etc. I have thought of a 454 tbi motor, but I don't know how a rebuilt 700r4 would handle it. Let me know what suggestions you might have to help me decide what I need to do.

Thanks,
    Doug /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you can put any motor in it and still keep the tbi you would just need to get a custom chip burned /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea cause hes got the harness for it and all. with an 86 and older you cant do that with out putting in another harness and [I love Jeeps].

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

We need to know how much you want to spend and how much power you want, smog laws, etc. If it was me I would build a 434ci( stroked 400) and upgrade the tbi to multiport which is pretty easy with your harness. On the other hand rebuild your old 350 with a bigger cam aluminum intake headers and higher comp. along with a custom chip you would make probably around 300HP.

85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift, 35"boggers, 16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want a crate performance TBI crate engine try Calling these guys http://www.sdpc2000.com
    They make performance TBI engines based on this block:
    sdpc2000.com performance Vortec
    I think they still sell one with a TBI manifold and a lower duration cam that you can run with a stock chip. It makes around 280 HP

You can run engine shown in the link. But you will need a chip burned for the cam and compression ratio. And the Vortec to TBI GMPP manifold. You wont be able to get more thar 300 HP out of a stock 1 11/16" TB. To get over 300 hp you will need a 454 2" TB or an aftermarket holley unit and some chip work done.
    Call SDPC and see what they have to offer.

If you build it your self I would go with:
    World Torker centerbolt heads. I like them better than Vortecs because they are A direct bolt on, way more versitile, And will take any cam you want to put in without machineing, They are good for around 30 Hp gain if you keep the stock 8.2 to 1 compression ratio. And will make more power as the compression ratio goes up. Dont go much over 9 to one on a stock chip
    A TBIcomputer firendly Crane or Comp Cam
    Either a Edelbrock or Weiland TBI manifold
    Some Upgrades for your stock TB from turbocity.com
    Might as well upgrade the ignition too:Performancedistributors.com
    Headers, Exhaust, and K&N filter
    This will easily get you to the 300 HP range

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Do what I did...found a 1992 454 TBI motor COMPLETE (all accerssories, air cleaners to oil pan, wiring harness and ECM...) I then rebuilt it with FT pistons, a torquey cam, rebuilt heads, and some sweet rods for BLING...It is PLENTY for getting around town...infact it is plenty for offing the occasional ricer and old-skool 'stang (and that is with 35's and 3.73's and a 4-speed)Just my $.02

Chris

7. Silverado_K5

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm wanting to spend as little as possible, but still have a nice motor that will give me some power and torque for pulling my atvs around /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I already have an ADS Super Chip in the ECM, custom 3" exhaust from the y-pipe back, and an Edelbrock TBI intake on my 350 at the moment. I know the GM tbi replacement engines are $1850 from GM, but want more hp. Where I live in rural Eastern Oregon we don't have any smog laws here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Am I limited to a certain size cam to use with a custom chip? I definitely want to get past the 300 hp mark if possible. I had a built 396 in a 74 SWB 4x4 chevy pu that I built years ago and it had over 400 hp, and it outran some z28 camaros up hill with 35" tires and 3.73 gears. What about building a 383 stroker motor? Do they perform great or are they so-so?

Doug

8. Silverado_K5

Who burns custom chips and are they limited to a maximum hp engine?

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Well IIRC, the TBI is the next part that limits your HP after the chip... a stock SBC TBI should support up to about 300HP. You'll want a nice set of headers too to get that beast breathing good too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

10. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Without having to have a custom chip burned, I believe that you are limited to about 218 to 220 degrees of duration at .050" lift on the intake side. That leaves you with plenty of choices. If'n it was me (and it will be this winter) I would build a 383 stroker with no more than 9.5:1 compression and use a good dual pattern cam with about 218 degrees of intake and 224 degrees of exhaust duration @ .050" and around .460" of lift. This type of combo should work well with the computer and will give you plenty of torque which is more important than HP.

11. Silverado_K5

Thanks WhiteWhomper for the info /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'll have to start saving a few $$ so I can get a motor built. I was leaning towards a 383 stroker motor for the torque and it should work fine with my rebuilt 700r4.

Doug /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif