Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What exactly does this tool do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Feb 15, 2005.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

This may seem like a dumb question to some but what does this tool do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32718&item=3874774673&rd=1

Also, there is a tool which I don't know the name of it but I believe it has the purpose of cutting thin sheetmetal kind of like a scissor. They have one on monster garage and I think its pneumatic. The metal thats cut comes out in a thin strip and coils up. What is that tool called? looks handy. Thanks.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

its like a saws all but cuts like a scroll saw great for tin work

almost the same kind of tool

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

.... the tool you described is known as a nibbler... look at the name of the tool on there. There are lots of ways to cut sheetmetal, there are electric and pneumatic shears, as well as electric and pneumatic nibblers. You are probably thinking of the shears. But a nibbler is a good tool, sometime I will get one, can make better curves and such with it.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i own both an air nibbler and air shear... the shears make the coiled strip.. nibblers make tiny halfmoon chunks...

5. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

We have one and it was a whole lot less money than that one. (Can't remember but maybe $100.00 maybe $150.00. at local tool shop.

It has a plunger shaft about 3/16" maybe 1/4" that goes up and down and pushes into a hole. The plunger nibbles off about a fourth of a hole of 3/16". Which it punches out half moon peices. Rapidly. It does not warp the body metal that it is cutting. works good on long quarter or long body part because of no warping of the sheet metal edge.

The only bad part is you have a whole lot of half moon pieces that are very sharp and get stuck in every thing. Shoes, hose, tires, hands. but if you clean up right away than there is not problem.

I like the one we have. Especially like i mention working on long body parts like rear quarters because on the non warping edge it leaves.

87 K5
    thank you
    stano

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, if I get the welder I want this spring for bodywork, I may invest in one to make things easier. Thanks again.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Those things work great, I trimmed my inner fenderwells with mine. Makes quick work of it and turns super tight corners. Don't walk in the garage in bare feet after using it though...:blush:

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Good tip!

9. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i cant stand wearing shoes in the summer. i weld,cut,grind,wrench,walk,run do everything barefoot. last time i went to chicago i forgot my shoes at home so i had to by some flip flops. any way, i was thinking of getting some nibblers. anybody have experiece with both tools(nibblers and shears i think there called)?

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Shoot, don't walk on them things at all. Had one go right thru my work boot's sole.

11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i have experience with nibblers, shears, cutoffwheel, jigsaw, sawzall for cutting sheatmetal. the nibblers are the easyest to follow a line of anykind, straight or curved. the shears work well too and can cut a little bit thicker metal but dont pivot/ turn aswell as the nibbler. Cuttingsheetmetal with cutoffwheel. jugsaw or sawzall is alsogood too becasue you can cut alot thicker metal with a decent amount of control.

sheetmetal - NIBBLERS DEFFF