Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What exactly is a gov lock?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gravdigr, Sep 10, 2003.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I have seen them mentioned but don't know for sure exactly what they are. I'm thinking a gov lock is like a selectable rear locker that came as a factory option. I have also read that while the 10b govlocks are bombs the 14b ones are pretty sturdy. If the 14B govlocks are strong why go to an unselectable locker in the rear?

I have a source where I can get a pair of 4.10 3/4 ton axles with a 14b gov lock in the rear for around $500 (bolt in no work on axles needed). My blazer will be a multipurpose rig used as a dd, tow rig (26' camper), and snowplow truck as well as offroading. The govlock seemed like an ideal setup but being so much cheaper than aftermarket lockers there has to be a downside. Educate me.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

They're definitely not selectable. They're more of a limited-slip type differential. I don't know much about them, but someone else will come along soon to enlighten you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can get a pair of 4.10 3/4 ton axles with a 14b gov lock in the rear for around $500 (bolt in no work on axles needed).

[/ QUOTE ]

Jump on that. I can tell you from experience that you'll spend more than $500 on other axles if you have to go through and replace things.

4. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Check this out: Eaton G80 gov-lock There is even a video you can look at that shows the locking mechanism. It doesn't show it exploding though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Chris

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A Gov-Lock acts like an open diff until there is a difference in speed betwen the 2 tires of about 100 RPM. Then you feel a slight clunk and both tires start pulling equally. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It uses a spinning weight, driven by small gears inside the diff, to determine when to engage. When it's working right, it's a pretty nice diff. It certainly doesn't provide the level of traction that a mechnical locker does, but it's way better than having an open diff. Think of it as a posi-trac diff that only engages the clutches when it needs to. This way, the clutches last longer and you barely notice that it's back there in normal driving.

It is also designed so that it will NOT engage at vehicle speeds over about 15 MPH so you never feel any unusual driving characteristics on the highway. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Many people explode Gov-Locks by not understanding the "clunk" of engagement. If you're stuck in a mudhole or something, do NOT start rocking the truck back and forth while slamming the throttle to the floor each time you change direction. The engagement of the Gov-Lock will then become violent as it engages under full throttle, slamming back and forth as you change direction. The instantaneous shock loads generated by that sort of abuse will eventually result in diff parts scattered around your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've had both, a gov in my 10bolt and I couldn't tell it was there because it made no funny sounds or clunks. It did take forever to engage though but when it did it worked ok, never had a problem with it but I had 33's and a stock 350 at the time. I now have a built 406SBC(400HP) and 35" boggers with newly swapped in 3/4ton stuff. My 14boltFF also has the gov-lock and I havent used it much yet but I did take off from the side of the road with one side in mud and the other side on the road. I put about3/4throttle from a dead stop and didn't spin a wheel! An open diff would have lit them up on the mud side like a top fueler heating them up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I heard a slight clunk when I was pushing down the throttle and a way I went.
    The 14b gov is much stronger....have you seen both... the 14 replaces the whole carrier unlike the 10b. I like mine and purposly nabbed my 14b because of the gov-lock. I think it is great for my DD and don't understand why someone would pay all that money for a detroit in a DD when the govs arent that bad when they work right.

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R-4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. rjfguitar

damn, I'm blue again! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

8. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it is great for my DD and don't understand why someone would pay all that money for a detroit in a DD when the govs arent that bad when they work right.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Go wheelin' in the rocks, where tires spend a lot of time in the air and then you'll understand it perfectly. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info and link everyone. I think a gov lock will work for me and I will definately be getting those axles probably next spring when I get my income tax return.

10. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Gov-lok is French for "exploding differential" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Gov-lok is French for "exploding differential" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to a pic of an "exploded" 14b with a gov lock? Anything can explode, hell a member of our off roading club recently blew up a detroit on a run.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to a pic of an "exploded" 14b with a gov lock? Anything can explode, hell a member of our off roading club recently blew up a detroit on a run.

[/ QUOTE ]

its way more rare to have a gov lok blow up than a true posi or locker

yopu can break anything if the circumstances are right, its just that gov lok take alot less circumstances to go kaboom, pretty anything in the 80s thats stock is inferior to what they used to make in the good truck building days.
    although i know there are ppl who love and defend the 80s junk, so..

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think it is great for my DD and don't understand why someone would pay all that money for a detroit in a DD when the govs arent that bad when they work right.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Go wheelin' in the rocks, where tires spend a lot of time in the air and then you'll understand it perfectly. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    that is why I said "DAILY DRIVER" I don't consider a rock clawler a daily driver. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R-4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. rjfguitar

[/ QUOTE ]
    pretty anything in the 80s thats stock is inferior to what they used to make in the good truck building days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um yeah, I will keep my colder A/C,more aerodynamic front clip( and better looking IMO), Overdrive transmission,power windows/locks,same exact 3/4ton axles,cruise control, and fuel injection. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-------------------

15. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't consider a rock clawler a daily driver.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You would if you lived here. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Not everyone in Colorado owns a hard core rock buggy, but even many of the "mild" trails around here will have your daily driver lifting tires off the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rjfguitar

Having a locker in the rocks is unquestionable and I figured I didn't need to say it. No one has a DD/rock crawler around rear and I would NEVER take my K5 in the rocks... far to nice to destroy it.

-------------------

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status