Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What exactly is "Business Attire"?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Apr 11, 2007.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have a meeting monday morning that requires "Business Attire". I'm dreading that this means a full-blown suit. I need to make a good impression and demonstrate that I can follow instructions properly...
    I have shirts/ties/jackets, but it's been so long that I don't have decent shoes, just workboots, sneakers, and service boots (which look the best, but are my MC boots).

Someone took a pic of me at work recently, and it shows how I normally dress. I assume this is not Business Attire, right?

So anyone have an idea of what's normally considered "business attire"?

DSCN0459-res.JPG

2. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

kinda off topic but... i have those exact same boots and id have tho say their pretty dam comfortable!:D
    but what kinda job do you work at, cause i think it can vary by job what is considered acceptable or not?

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i know business attire for me is slack or nice pants..no jeans. and a shirt with a collar. With anything but tennis shoes and boots. although on a daily basic I wear tennis shoes and jeans for all the time I spend in the warehouse.

4. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

"Business attire" is going to vary a bit from industry to industry. In MOST cases I would assume jacket and tie. Better to be over dressed if you are trying to impress than under dressed.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah... some people think a nice pair of khakis and a collared shirt = business attire... in other industries, its nothing short of a full on blingy bling suit. If I was you, I'd go with the blingy suit and if things get informal at some point in the process, you can always flop the jacket over a chair and go from there.

j

6. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Yup.....dress to impress is the way I was raised. That way you don't have that "am I under-dressed feeling" that could make you lose track of what you need to be putting out to the other people in the meeting. Its all about bringing the CONFIDENCE:D

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not a suit, short of that. A tie? probably, but depending on the business. Jeans/tennis shoes/T-shirts - no way. Khakis with a shirt/tie can work with 'nice" boots - we have some guys that wear that all of the time because they are both in the office and out on job sites regularly.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ahh, I think I'm bummed...

It's fairly related to law enforcement, so I guess I'll dress like an FBI agent. There may be a few other people present or observing, but only myself and another participating.

Bling bling suit's not my style, but I guess I have at least a couple days to get my shizzle together for it...

9. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Oh ya, don't forget to post it up in the 2007 Mugshot thread so everyone can fock with ya...I mean comment on how nice you look:D

10. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

If it is law enforcement related I suggest a nice dark suit, white shirt and nice traditional tie. SHINE YOUR SHOES!! They will notice the little details of how well you are "put together". If you have a few days I would take everything to the cleaner and have it starched/pressed.

FWIW I am retired Law Enforcement and have worked on the hiring process.

11. justmeburb

justmeburb Registered Member

Most law enforcement that require business attire would mean dress shoes, slacks ,button down collar shirt with tie and a sports coat.
    At least thats how my dad who was a homicide det. wore daily.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

With a conservative crowd like that I'd say suit for sure.

Dockers makes some comfortable dress shoes. When we went to my wife's company Christmas party I had to dress up and needed some shoes that weren't steel toed or hiking boots. I got a pair of the Dockers for around $20 on sale at Sears.

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

My "business attire" consists of black jeans so that they look like slacks from a distance but still comfortable, a button up shirt with a collar so flannel or denium shirts and my boots which are currently a pair of decent Ariat cowboy boots. Don't think it will work for your deal though.

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The simple rule of thumb is:

"Don't dress for the position you HAVE....dress for the position you WANT."

As has already been mentioned, it's got a lot to do with knowing your "audience"....if it's law enforcement, you can bet that something conservative is going to go over a lot better than something too casual or outrageous. That means probably navy blue or dark grey slacks and coat and a crisp white shirt and simple patterned tie (if you go that far). It has a lot to do with showing respect for them, as well as yourself. Your appearance is a reflection of both.

Remember, the whole idea is to help people to easily visualize you in the job you are going for, if you already "look" the part, then you're halfway there.... :waytogo:

15. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Our business casual is Slacks, a collared shirt.(either polo or dress shirt), and nice shoes.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks for the advice fellas. I wore khaki pants, a nice button shirt with a tie. The tie was overkill, but it was fine. Next one will be without the tie, but probably the exact same clothes. They were much more comfortable than I remember...
    I had to dress that way for work years ago in the city, but as the corp environment changed, my dress code reverted to jeans and has been ever since...

17. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Pasties and a G-string if you are employed at the right location...