Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What exactly is cross over steering?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

The turning radius of my K5 running 33's with a 4" lift is awful! I usually have to back up a few times when making turns when before the lift and 33's were install I didn't have to. Does the crossover increase the turning radius? Thanks!

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

not that i know of, the main advantage of it is it allows you to steer when your wheels are at full droop, where as with stock steering you wouldnt be able to. i dont have much experiance with it, thats just what i've picked up from this site

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Crossover steering doesn't do anything to affect your turning radius. What crossover steering does, in effect, is make your draglink - the connection between your unsprung axle and sprung body - longer, which basically translates to less steering feedback with the same axle movement. The way the stock setup is designed, when the axle droops/stuffs, it pushes/pulls on the draglink which makes the wheels turn (this is known as "bump steer" when driving down the road...hit a bump and the steering wheel turns back and forth). Crossover steering basically eliminates "bump steer."

Now, back to the steering radius issue. Increasing tire size will increase turning radius. On top of that, changing the backspacing on the rims will mess with turning radius.

My humble opinion: don't fret too much about turning radius. I drive a Suburban and make twice the amount of turns than the K5's I run with. It's a truck, not a Kia Sephia, so don't worry much about turning radius.

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The turning radius of my K5 running 33's with a 4" lift is awful! I usually have to back up a few times when making turns when before the lift and 33's were install I didn't have to. Does the crossover increase the turning radius? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you install a raised steering arm? If not that could explain your horrible turning radius.

5. Catman

Catman Registered Member

My '90 K5 has a 4" RC lift, 35x12.50x15's, a raised steering arm from RC, and it still takes alot of room to make a turn! If anyone has ideas, please post them. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Yep, I installed a raised steering arm. Turning radius gone. If I was living in the U.S. where the roads are wide, I wouldn't fret about it much! But, in Korea, and if you have been stationed in Korea, you know what I'm talking about! You need Kia turning radius! On base it is not a problem, roads are wide, etc..
    anyway, thanks for all the replys. Just live with it I suppose.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Crossover steering doesn't do anything to affect your turning radius. What crossover steering does, in effect, is make your draglink - the connection between your unsprung axle and sprung body - longer, which basically translates to less steering feedback with the same axle movement. The way the stock setup is designed, when the axle droops/stuffs, it pushes/pulls on the draglink which makes the wheels turn (this is known as "bump steer" when driving down the road...hit a bump and the steering wheel turns back and forth). Crossover steering basically eliminates "bump steer."

Now, back to the steering radius issue. Increasing tire size will increase turning radius. On top of that, changing the backspacing on the rims will mess with turning radius.

My humble opinion: don't fret too much about turning radius. I drive a Suburban and make twice the amount of turns than the K5's I run with. It's a truck, not a Kia Sephia, so don't worry much about turning radius.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree on your comments about turning radius..... I only have ONE experience to cite (my own) but I went from a standard draglink steering setup to the ORD Crossover setup and my turning radius was DRAMATICALLY better!

I used to have to backup during a tight U-turn, and now I cannot only turn sharply enough NOT to have to backup, but I can almost end up in the "inside lane" when I'm finished.

To be fair, the standard setup was on a D44 front axle, and the crossover was part of the D60 swap. Interestingly, converting to the ORD High Steer makes the steering even sharper than standard crossover was. I now have tire marks on my front shocks which is something I never used to get.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I guess now that I think about it, that could very well be possible.

Let me break this down using some mad mechanical engineering skills: one way to get a tighter turning radius, decrease the distance from the hole in the steering arm to the axis of the balljoints/kingpins. Having a shorter distance between those points would mean the knuckles would turn more with the same movement of the draglink.

How easy would it be to affect this value. Well, maybe by doing the crossover on your D60, Greg, the ORD arm has a shorter distance as stated above. How many degrees would "x" amount of lenth difference make...I'd have to sit down with pencil and paper to give you exact numbers, but it could be done.

Now, of course if you were going to modify your steering arm, you'd have to do some thinking about draglink binding, hitting the stop-bolts that are threaded into the knuckles against the axle housing, and tires hitting the springs/fenderwells. Also realize that you would have a shorter moment arm, so it's going to take more steering "force" to turn those big meats.

So, anyway, I guess that could explain a difference in how your truck turned before the lift with the original steering arm and after the lift with the raised steering arm...maybe the steering arm manufacturer didn't do his/her homework. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

thats some good info man thnx /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any pics of a crossover steering set-up? Also, what is hydro assist steering?

11. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok, I went from stock steering after my lift on my Jimmy to crossover and it made one hell of a difference in turning radius. The Blazer is the same way.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

My Suburban did the same thing, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I installed a 4" lift with the raised arm and i even still have my 31" stock sized tires on it, /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif so the only thing that changed was the suspension height, now i cannot make u-turns in the 2 lanes like i used to, i now have to make them with 3 lanes and part of the sidewalk,,,LOOK OOO /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifOUT !!!

14. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone have any pics of a crossover steering set-up?Also, what is hydro assist steering?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my crossover and high steer setup with hydro assist.

[​IMG]

Hydro assist is a hydrolic cylinder plumbed into your steering box.It moves when you turn the steering wheel to help you steer.

[​IMG]

15. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Thanks!

16. barryb

barryb Registered Member

what do you do when you have a zero rate on the front axle? I there enough room to clear the spring with the rod ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif