Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigboy, Nov 28, 2005.

1. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

What exhaust should i get that will have a nice sound for cheap for the k5 with a EFI 350? I eventually plan on putting headers on it also.

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I've used regular old thrush turbo mufflers on several of my projects when money was the main guidline. you can get them at advance auto parts, autozone, etc. and they are only 12-22 dollars depending on inlet and outlet size and which model you buy.

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

40 Series flowmasters :D

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I use Walker DynoMax's from Summit. They're not for those who like it loud though.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

He said for cheap. I don't think $70 per muffler qualifies.

I seconds the thrush mufflers. I had a pair of their turbo mufflers on my chevelle (350sbc, edelbrock performer intake and 1407 4bbl carb, hooker headers and 2 1/2" dual exhaust). It had a nice *chug, chug* sound at idle, real mean like. Then when digging in the 4bbl at 4k rpm it howled. :bow:

Now given the choice, I would use the flowmasters 40 series (I happen to have a pair a friend gave me when he replaced his duals with single exhaust to pass emissions here) :D

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Cheap??!! Get some glasspacks!! The cheap Turbo's from Autozone n Kragen are pretty restrictive. A buddy of mine ran a pair because he's cheap. Later he spent a little more for some better quality mufflers and could feal a difference. Look into Flowtech "Purple Hornies" or Summit and Jegs are selling some Force Pro Series mufflers that have a deep throaty 70's Muscle Car sound. $25-$30 each. Try to get some that are welded. My cousin and I have blown out some rolled seem mufflers. If you want to dish out the coin check out the Flowmaster Super 40 series. Deeper tone, with less interior resonance. I use 'em on my Moded '00 Mustang GT. The K20 runs older 40 series and is LOUD. My 63 Merc with 390 has Dynomax Ultra Flow's for a quieter deep sound.

7. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

i have a custom exaust on my 78 its got a 2 1/2 y-pipe routed behind and under the transfercase then goes to single 3" with one of those force 2 flowmaster copys the muffler was like 30 bucks from jegs and it sounds great and with the single 3" tail pipe i have great low end torque.
    the truck had duals when i bought it and i put the single and the truck runs way better.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Some things are too cheap. I have a great personal dislike for glasspacks. Also keep in mind he is running what appears to be a stock 350EFI, an exhaust that's too open may cause problems.

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

flow super 40's ;)

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I say call performance curve exhaust they are a vendor on here and have very good prices. As for me I am going to run a high flow 3" cat and a flowmaster super 40 and run the tail pipe between the spring and the frame tucked up nice and tight.

Ira

11. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

i run flowmaster 40 series w/ an x-pipe on my 383...**** sounds mean....

12. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

Cool thanks guys I am probly just going to run it like it is until i can get enought extra cash to get some flowmasters, tips, pipes, and headers so maybe febuary or march because I really need to do some floors and floor supports and also REALLY need and want some suspension.

13. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Jegs, Summit, and JC Junkyard all have kits that include pipe, mufflers (or not) tips and all mounting hardware. This could be a good choice as long as you dont go wild on engine mods.

14. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

I dont really plan on doing much to the motor maybe a bigger cam and some little stuff.

15. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

:bow: