Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What from my 350 will work on a 454?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, May 12, 2004.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

The 350 is a '75
    The 454 is a '94

1.Will my flywheel work?
    2.Clutch?
    3.Starter?
    4.Power steering bracket?
    5.Alternator bracket?
    6.Distributer?

7.Anything else I forgot that might be swappable...

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Flywheel, hell no, 454 is external balance and yours is new so it has a 1 piece rear main seal and that in and of itself has its own flywheel for small blocks I'm sure it does for big blocks as well.

None of your accessory brackets are going to work so forget that, as well.

Clutch yes.

Starter, probably depending on which one you have now.

Distributor, yes.

I can't really think of anything else that will go from one engine to the other unless you count motor mounts but you will want new ones anyway.

In the same family of engines, everything swaps, but if you change to another family, don't count on anything to swap over, really.

At least it's a Chevy. If it were a Ford you'd possibly need a transmission or to move your motor mounts depending on what you were messing with. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I do not believe the distributor will work from the 350 to the 454, the 454 from what i remember was shorter than the s50, at least the ones i have seen when i tore them apart.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out some of the aftermarket catalogs. Distributors are just sold as being for a Chevy. I've never seen an ad for one that specified big or small block. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Not onlt will big bock and small block distributors interchange, they all fit "w" motors too (348-409). I would imagine tall deck trucks have a different distributor though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw an El Camino at a recent car show with a 409 in it--the owner had converted it to the HEI distributor--it requires a spacer between the intake and the bottom of the distributor housing.He said he custom made the spacer,but it sure looked like a common shaft collar with a setscrew in it---you need the spacer to propery align the drive gear to the 409's cam gear and oil pump drive.