Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What fuel pump to go with a 1990 Covette TPI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72Blazerod, Apr 20, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys,

I have gor my 1990 Corvette TPI a few weeks ago and it is starting to warm up enough for me to start working on it. What sort of fuel pump should I be looking for? My truck is a 1972 Blazer. Right now I have the stock tank but I do have a bigger but bare (no internals) 1987 Blazer tank. I think I would like to use the bigger tank. Could I some how get a Chevy internal pump to fit in it? If I did go for a stcok pump what doner vehicles should I be looking for to pull one from? What vehicles have fuel pumps that put out enough pressure to run the TPI? Or should I just get an aftermarket external pump? Let me hear what you have to say.

Thanks guys,

Rod

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Try www.thirdgen.org - there's a guy that sells pumps............and a guy (John Millican) that did an unreal amount of research a couple of months ago when he needed a replacement inline, not in-tank pump. Think he settled on a Mallory rebuildable one.

That is your first question - do you want in-tank or inline outside of tank. The purists will say use in-tank............but many others doing conversions do NOT use in-tank pumps. John Millican is an example of a highly respected IROC guy that went inline outside of tank and is a strong believer in external. Me too. I run a Bosch pump up in my frame rail just off the tank with no problems. The big problem with in-tank is if it fails you have to drop the tank.........yeah, that's fun on the trail with 30 gallons of gas in the tank.............not. The argument for in-tank is for the 'cooling effect' of the gasoline on the pump............well, the external pumps are MEANT to be external and have no heating problems. At least the good one's don't. Do a search on thirdgen and/or PM John Millican about the pumps.........he knows his stuff. My Bosch pump cost $130 to give you an idea.........it's a Jaguar pump...............the key with TPI pumps is making sure they put out at least 43.5 psi.........and then making damn sure you run the proper lines to feed the motor that can handle that pressure. I ran all new 3/8" steel lines from the pump to the engine compartment on the driver's side (as that is where my IROC-based TPI setup fuel inlet is) and it cost about $30. Well worth doing. Don't want rubber hose if you can help it, at least not much of it.

I'd use that baffled '87 tank if you can............I have a non-baffled tank and have had NO problems but will be going with the baffled tank shortly when a buddy pulls his out to install a larger capacity tank.

Both in-tank and external work fine. The factory used in-tank on all the IROC's so if you are looking to source a factory item look up a '90 IROC pump. MIght be simple to mate to the factory '87 TBI tank you are looking at.

Either way, let us know how you progress on this. Always interested in TPI stuff................/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I am using an external MSD pump that puts out 125 PSI. It is one loud mother! Stay away from the MSD pump if you are trying to win low noise levels in your truck. I have my pump mounted and my fuel lines ran just like BlazzinOR. I used 3/8" aluminum fuel line that i picked up for 21 bucks in a roll of 25 feet (plenty for supply and return). I also am using a non FI fuel tank with no problems. Since you have a FI tank, use it if you can. With the non FI tanks, you should never let your fuel level go below a 1/4 tank due to the lack of an adequate baffle. Also be sure to mount your fuel pump realy in a high and dry area. I learned this the hard way.

There is a wealth of info on TPI here and on the internet. I did research for 6 months after purchasing my system before installing it. My truck is my dailey driver so I made sure I could do it all with no hitches in a weekend. It took me approx. 34 hours to do it with a little bit of help (thanks Sergio). Good luck and have fun. Your truck will never run the same way again!
    Justin

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a common walbro in tank pump is fine for your application
    the reg sets pressure not the pump

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I used my stock 71 Blazer tank and the orig.3/8 feed lines down the passenger side of the truck.I spliced in a external pump(I think it's a a/c Delco but not sure)right where the frames level off.Just before where the frame starts to bend up to go over the axle area.The pump is rated a 60PSI. I have a gauge on my fuel rail and I read 44PSI at idle.
    I run a 92 Camaro fuel filter right after the pump.I've had no problems with fuel starvation with the stock tank even around corners with less than 1/8 tank left.I've run the tank down to empty and went an extra 20 miles before I filled up and it didn't even stumble(your results may vary as it seems everyones fuel gauge reads diffrently).
    I ran a 5/16 steel line down the drivers frame rail and tee'd it into the vent line that runs beside the fill tube.This has caused problem on fill-up.Gas will puke back at me when I 1st start pumping.I will be plumbing in a dedicated return port into the tank soon(not sure where I'll do this yet).
    I love my TPI.It runs great.It even sounds different as compared to how it sounded when I had a carb. on it.
    You can see some pic's of my TPI install in my signature(my ck5 pic's).

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

True but you can't use a garden variety electric pump meant for a carb for this app.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Very true.You must make sure the pump if for a port injected application.TBI fuel pumps don't put out enough PSI.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had a 72 K/5 with 3 gas tanks. All lines were ran through a switchable valve, and a inline electric fuel pump. We got the extra tanks from a 76 3/4 ton pick up. (saddle tanks)

10. i thought you had to weld in an extra fitting on the tank for a return line in order to use the stock tank. i see that some people are not doing this and it works ok. also doesn't tpi have more pressure both on the feed and return than tbi?

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the return line should not have much if any pressure as it should be unrestricted.

how much pressure can a TBI pump put out?
    I would guess the pumps would be the same for a TPI and TBI.

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

No you do not. Use the existing return line (assuming you have a return line, my 79 did). Return pressure is not a problem.

mj - the TBI pump pumps apx 14 psi vs. 43ish for TPI. The part numbers are different.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the regulator is set to 14, that may be indicitive of pump capacity, but it may not be.
    I have seen your 43psi pumps run through a Holley 7 psi reg to run a carb conversion
    perhaps the TBI is a single stage vane and the EFI is a multistage vane to survive the higher load??
    no harm in discussing it, we might even learn something.
    anyone every tear apart a dead pump?

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'll post this same question to the guys over at www.thirdgen.org ..........you're right, we might learn something out of this.

15. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

i a situation like mine I would not use the stock return line. at 125 psi (what i run) supply it is then regulated back down to 43.5'ish psi. the rest of that fuel I am pushing through is going back to the tank at high pressure. i may be wrong here but thats the way it seems to me.
    Justin

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

125 psi???? Wow............

What pump are you running? That is reaaaaaaaaaaaalllllly high pressure /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the return should not be high pressure.
    if it is, then you should upsize the line as it could be affecting your fuel metering.
    I recall rule of thumb as anything more then 3psi in the return line is an indicator of time to find/fix the restriction.
    would love to see your ride that requires 125 psi of fuel pressure. any links to online images?
    boosted? or are you just a fan of Warren Johnsons fueling theories?

18. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

"*think*" is the word in that reply that he highlighted for good reason.
    heat in an intank pump is pretty much a non factor as it sits emersed in a few gallons of liquid.
    would be cool if someone had a dead tbi pump that they could gut and report whats in it. how many stages etc?

20. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yeah, it wasn't very definitive. I still wouldn't do it, but whatever......