Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what fuel pump to run with TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Mar 4, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i made a deal to purchase a TBI setup last night for my 86. what do i need to do to make it work with my existing fuel tank senders? i'd like to retain my dual tanks if i can.

2. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

hey man this has nothing to do with your question, but this is the first time ive seen somebody post on here from the same area as me. i live in mishawaka. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

You could go with the in tank pumps from an 87, they should work fine with your gauge and should fit into your existing tanks I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

man, Mishawaka, that's CLOSE! i've got several friends who are OC Outlaws, so when i get my truck together it'll be in your neck of the woods quite often.

Justin, do you know if the TBI engine harness has the connections for the fuel pumps built into it?

5. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I think they do, but can't remember for sure. I can check with my brother in the morning, he has done two TBI swaps now, or hopefully either this weekend or next, I can check on the jeep I am picking up (it's going to have a TBI 350 in it that I will have to wire everything up when I get it).

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

email sent with part numbers.

I'm going with an inline pump. I have two tanks and the factory setup is a wiring nightmare compared to what I'm doing.

If I had an all factory setup I'd probably spend the time to go that route though.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Won't work with your existing senders, since they are entirely different.

You can run an external pump, but the senders are different internally...how the pump mounts does not exist on the earlier senders.

8. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

If you get the entire unit (pump and sender) it should fit in the tank and work with your gauge.

9. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've done a few conversions. I have used both in tank and external. Either set up works equally well. The factory harness has an output to the fuel pump. If using more than one fuel pump you need to switch that output along with the level sender. I personally have had better performace from Walbro external pumps. I recommend staying away from the holly TBI external pump, I had one fail and it took them literally 8 weeks to take it apart and verify that it did not fail due to dirt, BEFORE THEY WOULD REPLACE OR REFUND.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Got a link to the Walbro? I'm getting ready to do this conversion as well (if I don't go diesel).

11. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know that electric pumps don't like pulling, but does anyone see a problem with mounting the pump next to the transmission on the passenger frame rail?

I've got dual tanks and I want to do the inline pump. The switchover cannot be pressureized, so it must occur after the switchover valve. Anyone see any problem with it priming? I figured I'd try it and see what happens. If that fails I've got to remove my dual tank setup, which I've been trying to retain. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif