Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Ga wire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 3, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

If I move my battery to the back of the burb, when I get my optima, what size wire should I run? I would definitely rather be on the too large size, but I don't wanna be running something the size of water hose either. I'm probably gonna eventually have some lights, might upgrade to a different or dual alternators, but nothing major.
    Thanks,
    James

ps: please don't make this a, you're an idiot, the burb is a zillion pounds thread.:o

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Size 0 ga wire

3. BlahBlah

BlahBlah Registered Member

Before you do this price out the wire. I just bought 20 ft at $5 a ft :eek1:
    So you might want to shop around a little cause I'm sure you're gonna need more than that.

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I got my cable from airgas, the welding shop we get our supplies at for work. It wasnt real expensive per foot, I think around 2 or 2.50 a foot. Although he did hook me up with a decent price but shouldnt be too much more than that. With a length as long as your going to need I would run the largest I could afford. Go 2/0 or even larger. Just something else to think about too, is a cable of that gauge will be very heavy itself. Heres a chart to give you something to think about.

http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

5. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

i also used welding cable it has real fine strands of wire in it thats better for batt applications mine is 2 AWG.

6. phergus_25

phergus_25 Newbie

looking you will have about 16 ft of run, so given that your alt is gonna be pushin like 50 amps you should be fine with 4ga... btu I could be wronge.

7. 78Suburban

gf's dad, (who has a welding business and can get stuff at cost) was suggesting 2 guage today. Don't yall think that 2 guage would be sufficent for most any electrical draw I could throw at it? I'm not planning on an onboard welder, and probably not even a winch.
    thanks,
    James

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't forget about the 150-250 amps that the starter needs when the current is flowing the other direction. ;)

9. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Just out of curiosity why would you want it back there? what benifets will you gain besides having the "race car" look? Seems like far more trouble than its worth to me.

10. 78Suburban

Weight Distribution. I know the burb weigh's more than some planets (just ask my poor cummins trying to drag it up a hill on a trailer). But I plan on stripping as much weight as a possibly can off the front. I feel confident that If I shed 200+ lbs off the front, it will make a noticible difference in performance in mud, and stress on the front corp 10.
    thanks,
    James

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My aux battery in the '73 is in the rear in a battery box. I used 1/0 welding cable. Works super.