Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What gas price would make you call it quits?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 27, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

For those who drive a fullsize with a V8 every day... what price would gas have to get to in order to make you either:

a) get or drive something more economical
    b) take a bus or carpool
    c) stop driving all together and walk or bicycle everywhere (in other words, rid yourself of the gas hungry vehicle)

I'm stubborn. At nearly $2 a gallon, I'm still running big blocks everywhere.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I value my life, so I'd prolly pay 5+ clams/gallon...it's still cheaper than being in the hospital if I were to be in a collision in an econobox...

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would drive mine forever I think. If I had to do payments again ( I aint pulling savings to buy a beater ) It would be more than gas a month. I can cut back on driving, but its still cheaper in gas than payments on economy car. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a V6 compact truck for a DD.

But, for everything else, nothing would make me trade in my V8s. Not even $20 a gallon.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a V6 compact truck for a DD.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm in the same boat only I use a V6 powerd C-1500 for My DD.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I barely ever buy gas anymore, I drive a 42mpg oilburner 200 miles a day.

7. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

i have little box (91 legend)for a dd so not a biggie to me I get 30 mpg

8. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i barely drive as it is. i have a pedal pusher to get to work most days. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of getting an 85 4cyl 2wd furd Ranger from a guy I work with to help with the gas situation....and to keep miles of my new Silverado. Plus, I can beat the crap out of it and it won't hurt my feelings. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kris

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well.. not sure what they were 4 weeks ago, but that was enough, traded my truck for a honda, sold the honda and bought a 93 grand cherokee..now working on getting an 89 k1500 and an 87 cherokee as well.. can we say used car lot in my moms yard?? LOL

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well at $1.999/gal here, i tell ya what, i do ALOT less driving now, and when i do, i don't get on it, try and drive easier.

I don't think i can ever really call it quits, and OPEC knows this too, i can't afford another fuel saver car right at the moment, so i just drive easier and less.

Average cost of a fill up on my ride when i run it down real low is about $65-$70

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Not really worrying about it right now. I'm driving a '95 Grand Am with a 3.1 V-6 getting 35 mpg on the highways and 28 mpg in town. I drive only 5 blocks to work and I fill up maybe 2 times a month on regular pump gas. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Luckily gas prices are still at $1.68 for regular here

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Gas is 1.99 here and I drive my K5 as much as I can but I usually get a ride to work with one of my buddies then just throw them some cash at the end of the week /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Man I am in the same boat, since I have a 31 gallon tank, I have been filling up at close to 75 bucks a pop. needless to say, it sucks, but I will deal with it. thats also why I am sporting the dough for an older suburu that will get me close to 40 MPG. I also considered doing a cummins swap in my blazer for this same reason.

Remington

16. mudgirl1972

mudgirl1972 Registered Member

thats cuz you live in the boonies, same with me in nebr., every day i see more and more trucks on the road than cars, and most of them are ditzy ladies who have no idea of what there 4x4 can do and thats sad. i here its a pretty hoppin party town a few friends went there to party this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd rather live in the boonies than the big city any day. The boonies gives you the freedom to enjoy life at a slower pace without the fricking maniacs who think they own the highways, freeways, interstates, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i cost me $65.00 to fill up the DD.definetly keep your air pressure right in your tires, when my little boggies got low i lost three days worth of drive time. 10 days between fill ups to seven /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I siphon gas from the next door neighbor "Daddy Warbuck's" Cadillac. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

20. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

What it's at now. I haven't bothered to fix my carb I took off to rebuild because of gas prices. What is the point to fixing it when I can't afford to put gas in it. Every other bill has gone up, and not my paycheck. Something had to give, and seeing how I have a car that runs, the truck was it. Sure I really wanted to finally get it going but not if I can't afford to do anything with it because I spent all my money on the gas to get there.