Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What gauge steel to use???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Found a local sheetmetal shop that will make new floors up for the Blazer & will even bend the steel to look like the ribbed style in the rear. The guy at the shop figures the stock stuff is probably only in the 24 -26 ga range. He can make up the floors out of 20 ga for me. Does that sound thick enough?? Should I get galvanized or black? The bed & complete underside will be sprayed with Rhinolining or Line-x or something after.

Thanks again

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I don't know how much wieght you want to add to your truck but here is the thickness that you mentioned converted to inches.
    26 gauge = .022"
    24 gauge = .028"
    20 gauge = .040"

<font color=red> Bill, "Shop Rat" </font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Shop-Rat>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Shop-Rat</a>

3. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

The replacement back floor i have looks to be 18 guage steel. The patches im makin for my cab floor are out of an old porsche car roof. I've got some 22 guage stuff and it seems a little thin. hope this helps
    Craig

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I think the stock floor is out of 19 guage or something close. 26 is wayyy to thin. Depends on what you want really (higher gauge = light weight; lower guage = heavy, etc). I put 16 guage patches on mine where rot took the best of the old sheet metal. I like the 16 guage stuff.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys

Boss; did you have your floor bent with the ribs like stock or flat? I was thinking about going with the flat &amp; using 16 ga but even 16 seemed thin on the flat unless you added extra ribs underneath the floor. The guy at the shop told me that it would be pretty hard to bend much heavier than 20 ga in the brake &amp; after seeing the diff gauges, the 20 still looks pretty thick when ribbed. I'll have to chop out a piece of the old floor &amp; bring it down to compare.

BTW, thanks for the mini-chart Bill; I'd like to have a full one so I can know how to convert gauges to a thickness.
    Thanks again

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Brian,

I put it in flat, but pounded it where the stock floor was ribbed, so it kinda ribbed where it met the stock floor. But pretty much it's flat. It's definately more solid than the stock floor. I did a pretty good job I would say :). But I guess 20 gauge will be about stock, or near it, so.....
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5