Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What gear in mud bogs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Aug 5, 2002.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Last year I was automatic with a 208 and went with 4 low and 3rd in tranny.

This year i'm a 4 speed/205 so I was thinkin either 4 low and 3rd or 4 hi and 2nd. Since my 4 speed is worn out and likes to pop out of 3rd, will 4 hi and 2nd be better?

What do you guys think? Unfortunately I don't get to practice driving my truck off road before then. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Long story. Otherwise I'd experiment.

What do you think, backyardbuilt? You're a mud bogger, I saw the pics.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4low and hold it in 3rd but also watch the rpms you may need to shift to 4th

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

good Question..
    my truck used to be
    350/np203/turbo400/33's & 3.73 I ALWAYS used 4 high and pedal to the medal.. I rarely ever used 4 low.. unless pulling someone out. I have gotten stuck about 3 times out of about 200 woods trips (trail riding, mudding, stream crossing) but I did know the limits on depth for my truck...

now I am running
    350/np205/smc465/40's & 4.56's
    I also have not driven the truck in mud (or at all other than around the yard to reloate it). I also have a long story....
    but I was reading the other day someone recommended 4low and my brother and I chuckled.... I dont ever remember using 4low for mud... but hey I am a newbie once again.. not until I get my uni direction ground Hawgs churnin in the mud will I learn some valuable mistakes.!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    p.s. I am not saying anyone is wrong.. I have had the same question but felt awkward in asking...
    /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In 4 LO and 3rd you can shift to 4th quickly if necessary. In 4HI and 2nd the shift scenario would be much harder to do quickly.

4 LO x 3rd gear (1.7:1) = 3.33:1
    4 HI x 2nd gear (3.58:1)=3.58:1

The final drive ratio for either is about the same...

Rene

5. mudhog

thats what i was trying to say /forums/images/icons/smile.gif much easyer to shift from 3rd to 4th than 2nd to 3rd /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

depending on the mud bog

our mud bog pits around here are about 160-185 feet...we usually stay in 4low all the way through...you normally dont get all that much speed since you wanna keep a constant steady momentum...

but hey thats just us and virginia mud/clay is probably different from others

Later

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What Rene and Shannon said..../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4lo and 3rd will give you the low range when you need it and the tranny will give you the 4th gear when you need higher RPM's.

Check out the pic on my avatar of Brown Turd. That day when I was playing in the water hole, I had the 465/205 in 4lo and 3rd all the way. Never had to shift up or down from those ranges. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

If you go 4hi and 2nd, its not quite the same since you are losing out on the low range of the 205. Better to keep the 205 in low range so you have it on tap and ready to go rather than shifting the 205 all the time. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Out here in the great Cali. I tend to run 4-hi and mash the throttle, though we tend to have sandier mud and the idea is to dig to the bottom, not much clay around here, a little on the coast. I like the sand better, comes off easier.
    When I am in the clay I go for wheelspeed, helps to clean the tread better, though we don't have the mudpits like you guys, I just have an irrigation canal for the deep goo. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Shifting isn't happing. If you step on the clutch it's over. That's why I'm selecting what gear I want to use 2 weeks early.

I'm not new to off roading or mud (or even competition mud bogging) just this 4 speed is sooo different.

I guess if I end up with tons of RPM/momentum, shifting is an option, but I HIGHLY doubt it. Last year, the only thing I had time for was to stare at the end of the bog, hold it wide open, and crank my wheel back and forth about 1/4 of a turn.

The thing is, I really want to run 4 low and 3rd, I am just afraid I'll embarass myself if my truck pops out of gear! I suppose I could hold it, but I wanted both hands on the wheel.

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If your truck has the guts (tweak that secondary spring so if you breathe on them they fling open) I'd run second gear in high range. You don't want to have to shift half way down the hole. If you're quick you can probably grab second gear before you even hit the hole. In high range and second gear you can hit 50mph but yet still have the gearing to keep the mud slingin'.

Now if the SM465 liked to be shifted under power, I'd say run low range. But I've never met a fast-shifting SM465 let alone one that didn't grind a pound when you tried to shift it under power. I mean, you lose a lot of wheelspeed when you press in that clutch which is going to make your motor fall on its face unless you really slip the clutch. And a missed shift spells disaster.

In all honesty, I'd just watch or ask a guy that has a similar setup at the bog. Preferably peek in his truck after he makes a run to see if the transfer case is in high or low.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sure, I'll ask around. I'm just getting opinions for now.

I got 3rd place last year with my truck so it's no pooch.

12. mudhog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    In high range and second gear you can hit 50mph

[/ QUOTE ]
    WTF how many rpms are you turning to get that /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif or what gears are you running?
    damn if i tried to get 50 out of second gear on mine id be running around 6500 to 7500 rpms /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shannon, think "L,1,2,3". Hell I can pull over 70 in "second".

Rene

14. mudhog

true lol i still call L first lol everyone says it different 3speed with granny low 4speed and what not lol /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

dont feel bad.. I went to a bachelor party.. and got trashed... the designated driver drove me home in my truck...
    He asked me the next day... why my truck wouldnt go over 45
    and guess what.... he was in 1ST!!!!! you know ...
    Low-1st!!!!
    damn near blew my motor up... he said he couldnt keep up with anyone....
    Go Figure

16. mudhog

lmao!!!!!!! i would definatly not let him drive it again lol

17. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I ran all last year with my old manual and 4:11 gears with 36" swampers for my class. I had the best luck with High range and First gear. I would bring the motor up to about 5 grand and then floored it letting the clutch out as fast as I could without having the motor drop below about 4 grand. This launched me out of the hole real fast and then I usually just made shure that I didnt over rev the engine on the way down the track. Always placed in the top three. Hard on clutches thou. This year I went to an automatic with a 2400 stall and I dont know if I'm off any better. I can easily shift up but it does not launch as hard. I also had the 205. With your 208 and a little bit better low range gear, Low range and third might work out well. Thats the bad thing about mud racing. Every track is different and there usually are no test and tune runs.

18. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

2.73 gears and 33" tires. hehe. I don't believe a small block chevy should ever go past 4400rpm without a beefed bottom end but I just never looked at the tach on those days.

Now I've got a 700R4, 2.73 gears, and 31" tires. It gets left in second gear (which is comparable to the 465's third gear).

19. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'm just curious, what kind of mud bog is it? How deep is the mud? I'm a little leary to go slingin' some mud this year because the locals take it too seriously. "It's strongly recommended if you run smaller than 38" tires that you remove your fan" is what they say. They used to have two strips, one for 34" and bigger and one for 33" and smaller.

20. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

whooooooooooooooohhhhooooooooooooo

where i come from if youre running smaller than 38s it aint a mudbot truck...and i there is a class for smaller than 38s...it aint a mudbog /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Later