Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What gear ratio for 35's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Oct 16, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

What gear ratio for 35\'s?

Okay, I have been seriously looking into the solid axle swap, and I figured out that I should just save myself the time and the effort and go with the big lift and 35's instead of the smaller lift and 33's. It'll only cost me another couple hundred to go big. So I think a set of 35" Yokohama M/T's are in my future. Now, what gearing should I run? My truck has a 350 TBI, 4L60 (TH700, not certain if it is an electronic 4L60E though), and a few mods done to the engine. Nothing special. I have a 14 bolt SF with 4.10's in it somewhere in the USA (IF AIRBORNE EXPRESS WILL EVER FIND THE D*&N THING![​IMG]), that is going in the rear. I figure either 4.10's or 4.56's because that's what everyone else runs, and the only 2 in the range that the Ford reverse cut D44 and the 14SF have in common. My truck spends most of it's time on road, so I want it to be as close to stock driveability as possible. Especially mpg's, it's not spectacular as it is right now. I like how it handles offroad anyways, so I'm not to worried about it, and I don't do anything other than trail riding and the occasional blast through a small mudpit. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: What gear ratio for 35\'s?

4.56:1

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Most likely 4:56's.I've got 36" and a 700r4 so I think I'm going to end up getting 4:88's. Thinking about getting 38" so this will be suitable for both. Here is a table.
    http://www.4lo.com/geartable.html

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I would definitly go with 4.56 gears. That is the setup i run and i love it. I almost went with 4.11's and that would have been a mistake. Just my opinion though.

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

What type of trail riding do you do now ?
    What type of trail riding are you planning with the staight axle ?

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've got 4.11's in my Bazer with 35" BFG's and a 350/TH350 combo. I personally think that these gears are just a bit low on the highway and would probably prefer 3.73's. I have great acceleration with the 4.11's and never feel like the engine is lugging.

7. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

One quick word about the yokohama 35" Mud Diggers. I've had these tires before and they are very quiet and great in the mud! However, they also wore down very quickly. Since you spend most of your time on the road, I'd think that you'll be much better off with a longer wearing tire. The 35" BFG Mud Terrains that I have now have lasted MUCH longer and are almost as quiet and are great off-road too.

8. AJMBLAZER

It seems that every time I look at the charts, and then do the conversion for the OD, they point to 4.10's.
    I usually just bump around on trails, occasionally splashing through a stream crossing or small mud hole, lower angle hill climbs, very minor rock crawling (as in the rock is in the way and not very big), that's about it.
    I am asking about the Geolander M/T's, not the Mud Diggers. The MD's have been out of production for several years now. Thanks anyways.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am running 4.10's with 35's. I am pretty happy with them. Although I have ben thinking of going taller, but I haven't decided yet.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

10. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

I am running 4.10 with my 35 x 14.5 tires. It does great on the highway and offroad. The gas mileage is very good (well as good as it can be anyway [​IMG]). I am happy with the setup.

'87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

11. Executioner

And your IFS can't handle that ? You said you like the way it rides/handles now , going solid axle is going
    to be difficult to get the same ride/handling as IFS. I can't say that a solid axles will be worth it $$$$$$$$$.
    Good luck on the swap.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have 3.73's and 35's. Then again I don't have overdrive and I drive a lot of freeway. If I had overdrive I would go with the 4.56 gears. Just because you're going with 35's now does'nt mean 37's or 38's are'nt in your future [​IMG]. At least with the 4.56's if you do go bigger in the future you won't have to do another gear swap.

Rene

[​IMG]

13. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

4.56. If you run 4.10s you WILL fry Overdrive trannys. Bogs things too much and the tranny is constantly shifting from 3rd to 4th. Trust me on this one, I'VE DONE IT!!! My Sub USED to have 4.10s, now it has 4.56s and has not burnt a tranny since.

ken

14. pregate

pregate Registered Member

anyone have an opinion on 4.88s?

1979 K5 Blazer
    4x4, 350 V8

15. AJMBLAZER

No, the IFS really can't handle much if you lift it. Angles of various components get problematic, it can't be beat on like even a 10 bolt can, it definately isn't up to 35's, it doesn't flex as much as a solid axle, you get much increased steering and suspension wear, lots of stuff. If I were keeping it stock, and maybe just putting some 285's on it, I would be perfectly happy with the IFS. But I am not, and I like the ability to drive anywhere I want to, and that just isn't all that realistic with the stock IFS. I also believe in over building.
    Read my post again, I like the way it drives now. As in acceleration, deceleration, passing, slowing, mpgs, etc. I am perfectly aware of the fact that a solid axle/leaf springs up front will make it ride rougher than a stock IFS. I don't care much, since I have the Rancho torsion bars in it now, and they make it pretty stiff, a lot like my old 86 Blazer.
    I want more lift and bigger tires, so I can go more places, clear more things, have a wider "footprint", and get a little more travel so I don't cross-up so easily.
    Thanks for the comments though.

16. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

What effect will upgrading HP and Torque have on the gearing/overdrive situation? What I'm wondering is I'm running 3.73 gears, 31" tires stock 1990 tbi, I want to go to 33" tires but I dont want to fry my OD tranny. I'm also planning a vortec engine swap. Will the upgrade in power prevent my transmission from shifting in and out of fouth or is this trany thing only dependent on my gears? Thanks.

17. Executioner

90% street, 10% off-road. 33-36" tire will cuase some side effects, as will a lift to clear them.
    But if you compare a 0 miles IFS, and a zero miles solid axles, after say 100K, thats only 10K in 4WD.
    You can buy allot of IFS parts for the money that it takes to do the swap.
    Good luck. keep up posted on the swap.

18. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I had 3.08's/35's and did a ton of highway driving in my '85 and never once fried the 700-R4. All you have to do is keep out of OD unless you're at the right speed, just keep it in D and you won't have any problems.

19. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, lots of different views so I will add mine as well! I have 4:56 gears in my Jimmy and love them off-road. Nothing compares to them for off-roading. BTW, I run 35x12.50 Marshal Mud tires. The only complaint I have is with the hiway mileage. It sucks. I have a mild 327 c.i. with a th400 and 205 case. On the hiway IMHO the RPM is too high. At 100 kph, my tach sits at around 3000 rpm. My bud Digger has a TH350, 454 and 203 case with the same tires and he runs around 2500 with his 4:10s (and gets awesome mileage, 1/2 of his tank compared to my 3/4+). Every time I did the chart it gave me 4:10 as the closest to stock with 35s. I went to 4:56 and it is definately stronger than stock. So.... depending what percentage you run off-road, and how much you like your mileage... that is how you can choose.
    Like I said, 4:56 is past stock when you do the math, and you suffer for it in the gas department, but they are sweet off-road. 4:10s are pretty close with the math, you will maintain some mileage, and with a decent motor you wont be lugging much.
    Hope this helps
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>