Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what gear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jakentn 83k5, May 7, 2000.

1. jakentn 83k5

jakentn 83k5 Registered Member

I would consider myself a pretty good mechanic but I admit that I don't know squat about rearends...my k5 obviously has an airplane gear...get her on the interstate & it's 90 no prob..try to spin the tires in gravel..no way..anyway to tell what gear without removing diff cover? if I change them what would you recommend running 32's

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

your gear selection should depend on your REAL usage of the truck. be honest with what your doing. do you want more gear for better offroad performance? or are you trying to compensate for larger tires. gear changes can be complicated and expensive depending on what your looking for. most gear swaps are not for the "do it yourselfer". not to doubt your ability, but the proper tools and patience are required. and remember you have to match front and rear. UNLESS its strictly offroading.

3. jakentn 83k5

jakentn 83k5 Registered Member

my rig is rarely on the interstate...mostly local driving & wheeling..plan on changing out entire axles not just gears..plenty of mechanic friends in case run into probs..just would really like to know what ratio is working well in your k5's

4. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

4.10s should be fine with 32s.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My Blazer currently has 3.08 gears with 31" tires. I'm planning on going with 3.73 gears when I buy 33" tires. According to an online gear calculator, I would have to go with 38" tires in order to get 3.73 gears to have the same acceleration as the 3.08s with 31" tires.

My Blazer feels strong with its 104K miles 350 engine and the 3.08 gears, but I will definitely like more torque since I do a lot of city traffic and mild trails. I rarely see a highway.

Check out http://www.4lo.com. They have a "calc table" that might help you make up your mind.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]