Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What gears did the 1985 K5 come with stock?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tungsten, Jan 4, 2004.

1. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

Trying to figure out what gears came stock in my 1985 K5 4WD. I know that my grandfather never had them replaced so whatever the good General put in there at the factory is what's still in there right now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is there a # I can look for somewhere on the differential or maybe a way to decode the VIN?

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before. I did a quick cursory search of this forum and couldn't find any exact hits on it.

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

did ya check the codes in the glove box or maybe on the inner fender weel?

im guessing 3.08 or 3.73, or even 2.73, i think those were the most commen..my 85 had 3.73. you can pull the diff cover of and look for the numbers on the ring gear to, that will tell you for sure..

3. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    did ya check the codes in the glove box or maybe on the inner fender weel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, wasn't sure where the tags were on these trucks. I'll do that tomorrow and see what the #s say.

4. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Look on the rpo sheet, will be in the glove-box or on the inner fender. If it says standard ratio it will be 3.08 I think, thats what it is most likely unless they opted for the better gears.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think it also depends on the tranny what gears it has. my 85 has 3.08 with the 465

6. 85scottsdale

my 85 K10 with auto 700r4 had 3.08 gears also.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

good ol' audobahn friendly 3.08's here in my 85' K5 stock. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's a list of the codes for gearing:

GU4- 3.08s
    GU5- 3.23s
    GU6- 3.42s
    GT5(or5X1)- 3.73s
    GT5(or GT8)- 4.10s

G80 is the code for a Govlock

Hope that helps, brother./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 85scottsdale

Mine is a GQ1 code which is standard axle ratio, which turned out to be 3.08in my case (pickup truck not blazer).

10. Can Can

The GQ1 code is a wierd one- I've seen trucks with 3.73s, 3.42s, and 3.08s labelled as GQ1. I'm not sure why some RPO stickers use GQ1 instead of the specific code. Probably laziness on GMs part........ /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GQ1 means that when the vehicle was ordered, the box for optional gear ratio wasn't checked.

I would guess along those same lines, if you see the RPO for 3.73's, it means the gears weren't standard (same as engine choices) so it was an option.

Of course, because of having to certify every drivetrain combo, certain ratio's weren't available on some vehicles, which is why you won't see (for instance) a later K5 with 4.10's.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

GQ1 is std ratio for the drivetrain installed in the vehicle you need the RPO sheets from GM for that year and model to know what the std ratio was for the drivetrain in your truck

13. Can Can

So unless a truck was ordered with specific gears, the code will be GQ1 which is basically just a default code. Hmmm, interesting.

Any idea what the "default" was for 80s K5s?

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its depends on drivetrain installed,

it still is one of several ratios available for that year and model,

GQ1 ratio is std equipment ratio for the drivetrain installed into that particular year and model, lol, thats how it works

you thought it would be easier than that ? haha

you'll have to pull diff cover to see what ratio it has, GQ1 will do you no good unless someone has an RPO sheets copy for your year and model, all i have are pickup ones 73 and 81, and all the 67-72 ones burbs pickups etc.

i mean you can give us the RPO codes of your engine and tranny and i can look in the 81 RPO sheets and give you what ratio that particular drivetrain would have, but would be for K10 pickup and not K5, so would be 50/50 chance of being accurate, youre just better off pulling diff cover and looking, or just get the stamping code off the RH top sid eof axle tube on rear axle and giving that to the GM dealer parts counter person along with year make and model and they will tell you what ratio was originally installed into that housing
    and if its G80 or not
    its pretty much impossible to find out much about what was originally installed in a GM vehicle without having the RPO label still intact and most of the time also having an RPO sheets book too for that particular year and model, the VIN code will do you no good for this, GM couldnt care any less about what was originally installed into any vehicle other than what they recieve in repair shop to repair, in which is what the RPO sticker is for and why it warns you not to remove it. GM does not keep records for individual vehicles and this is why its so hard to find out original options on anything older, you are on your own with older vehicles, GM didnt keep any of this info

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Basically, what Randy is saying, is that the "standard" ratio is based on engine, transmission, and vehicle they are to be installed in. GQ1 in a 1985 305/700R4/208 equipped K5 will be entirely different than a GQ1 in a 1985 454/465/205 K30.

Problem with the "80's" comment is that the base engine probably changed once or twice, the base transmission changed twice, base t-case changed 3 times, and emissions regulations changed a bunch. (all the changees I'm just making an educated guess at, actuality isn't very important, there are many many variations in "base model")

To see a truck with no options whatsoever is pretty rare in all honesty. I think even a trailering package had different "standard" gears than a non-trailering truck. (can't recall if K5's with trailering package got numerically higher gears or not some years)

However, all that said, I think more often than not, the 3.08 ratio was standard for the K5's in the 80's. You only had three or four to choose from (2.73? 3.08, 3.42 and 3.73's) and some drivetrain combo's weren't available in CA at all for some years. Clear? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

There are just many variables. Even if you picked a 1985 K5 with no options at all as an example, I think the only place you'll find that info online is in the Chevy brochures page, which may or may not be back up now.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine is a GQ1 code which is standard axle ratio, which turned out to be 3.08in my case (pickup truck not blazer).

[/ QUOTE ]

For my '84 K10, which was a 305/700R4/208 truck from the factory, the 10 bolts had 2.73 in them with that code!!

17. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The gears can also vary based on the other packages that may be chosen. For example, my 85 Jimmy came stock with 305/700R4/208 and 3.73 gears. This was because it was ordered with a trailering package. But it still reflected the appropriate code in the glove box.

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had the heavy duty cooling system with the bigger rad, battery, and external tranny cooler. I also had the trailering package but I still got 3.08 gears.

19. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

and chevy4wd's 84 lists 3.08s as the ratio, but it had 3.73s.. people change gears so the code MAY NOT be correct..

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

2.73 is seen in 90% of all the 81-up i have ever open up covers on, according to 81 RPO book, 2.73 was std equipment with std equipment drivetrain, but i know that it came with 305 2bbl and th350-c throughoput the 80s, GQ1 that is