Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what gears do my 10 bolts have?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Jul 16, 2002.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

what is the easiest way to tell? im just wonderin becasue i want to know mostly for general knowledge. thanks.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

You have an 88 according to your sig. The ratio should be in the glove box on the sticker thats on the door. If its not there or you think the gears have been changed youll have to open the diffs and read the #s on the ring gear.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

from my expereience and maybe im just generalizing this,but most 1/2 ton trucks and blazers ive seen come stock with 3.73 to 1 gears.i have had 2 diferent 12 bolts and they were that ratio.when you get into 3/4 ton stuff i have seen mostly 4.10 to 1 ratio gears.the best way to tell is open the diff cover and look and the stamp on the ring gear and see what numbers there is on it.divide the big number by the small and then you have your ratio.3.73 would be stamped 41.11 which means 41 ring gear teeth and 11 pinion gear teeth.hope this helps /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

ive aquired over 4 sets of ten bolts, all 3.07. <font color="blue"> jack th truck up, spin the tire once, count the driveshaft revolutions and thats the ratio </font color> <font color="red"> tire revolutions, to driveshaft revolutions </font color>

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

usually easier just to read the codes from the glove box

Later

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

On my burb, I have the sticker on the glove box door, but there is no code...there is though a tab on one of the bolts on the rear 12b saying 3.08.

7. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure most 10bolts are 3.08's

8. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i have an 85 custom deluxe with the towing package installed, it had stock 3.73's with posi in the rear, it said this in the glovebox, and when i pulled the cover off it all matched up...
    so if your glovebox doesnt tell you what you have, the only real way to tell is to pull the cover off and see

9. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Of the 4 axles I have two are 3.42:1, one is 3.73:1 and the other is 2.73:1.

If you haven't owned since new, pull the cover and look at the stamping on the ring gear. 3.73:1 is usually 41-11, but divide the big number by the little number and then you'll know for sure. Besides, it wouldn't hurt to give her some fresh gear oil.

If you just got the truck and haven't tried out 4x4, don't assume that the front and rear are the same. I made that mistake... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

John

10. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Got an 84, when I bought it it had 2:73's...till I spit most of them out on the road. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

My '87 K5 came with 3.73, I know that the 10b came with 3.08, 3.73, 4.10 (rare), I'm not sure what they put into the car axles.