Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what gears for a 6.2 diesel and 10 bolts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nmk5, May 7, 2002.

1. nmk5

nmk5 Registered Member

I need some different gears!!! I have a 4" and 35's a 6.2 diesel. My diff tagg is gone and I haven't lifted it up to check to see what gears are in it. It is becoming just a trail rig so I need some good gears for wheelin. Any ideas????

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Forget about upgrading them, just beat it til that torquey Diesel breaks those 10 bolts and ditch them for 3/4 or 1 ton axles. Don't spend any money on 1/2 ton parts, you'll break them sooner or later.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Where those diesels make their power (down low) I'd make sure that I didn't go crazy with gearing, and end up revving that diesel past where it makes its power. I don't have a clue what kind of RPM we're talking about when power peaks, but if you exceed that, its pretty pointless on a trail rig IMO.

4. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I have 3.42's and stock tires and I can idle over just about anything. You don't need to gear very low with a Diesel. With 35's I think 3.73 or 4.10 will be just about right. Like the others said, I would look into some tougher axles though. 35's are going to pretty hard on a set of 10 bolts.

5. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I've got 3.42 gears (original) in my diesel Blazer. With 31" tires, I just idle over whatever is ahead of me on the trail.

Like the others have said, you're making your power down in the lower RPMS, don't over gear your axles.