Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What gears to run

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5blazerus, Jan 29, 2003.

1. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I have done a search and found nothing .
    I would like to know what gears I can run with this Combo.
    Right now I am running 36 sumpers, Th400, 208, and 4:10 gears. This Combo is not that bad. I am planning on going to 38.5 inch tires. What gears can I get away with and what gears would be best to run.I drive my tuck daily and mostly play on dirt trails, snow, mud and sand.
    Thanks Colin

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

4.10's are the good highway gear for your combo with no OD. If you do alot of highway I wouldn't go deeper then 4.56, but if you don't get alot of highway or you don't turn that many revs then 4.88's. If you are running a 1/2 or 3/4 ton front though and do decent wheeling the 4.88's are kinda small on the pinion diameter and you will be pushing the axle shafts and ujoint to the limit with 38's.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

colin my best friend had 38's and 4:56's on his bronco and he was always saying he wished he had went to 4:88's instead of 4:56's i am running 38's and sm465 np205 combo and have 4:10's right now but this month i will be going to 5:13's /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but i also plan on 42's some day hopefully next year so i only want to re gear once lol

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Depends on what you do in the t-case department. Dual t-cases can let you keep the economical axle gearing, and still provide the gearing you need off road.

Just have to decide if you like ORD's 2:1, and 4:1 or Klune's 2:1, 2.72:1 and 5.4:1. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I probally will not go to a dual t-case. The only wheeling I do is snow, lots of mud, sand dirt trails. We have noting hard core in bend. I was leaning towards the 4:88 if I go to 39.5 tires.
    By the way HOSSBABY50 I have I dana 60 in front now. Witch I need to go test out.