Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What gears to turn 35's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dargo, Oct 15, 2004.

1. dargo

dargo Registered Member

What gears to turn 35\'s?

Hey, I just picked up an '85 w/ a 350 and 700r4 overdrive trans. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It has a 4" lift w/ 35" bfg at's. The guy I bought it from said that the gearing was never changed after the larger tires. It is a major dog on the highway. OD is pretty much useless. It is fine around town, but anything above 50 sucks if you have it in OD. What should I put in as far as ring and pinion is concerned? I do a good amount of highway driving. It will also be used for towing, and of course wheelin'. I don't anticipate anything too hairy as far as wheeling goes, but it will definately be taken off-road. Thanks for the info!

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: What gears to turn 35\'s?

The answer to everything

5:13's

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Do you plan on ever going larger than 35's? If so Id go 4.88 or 5.13, sticking w/ 35's? Either 4.56 or 4.88. However, if you are plannin on goin larger, or wheelin it much, Ill go ahead and say it, may wanna do an axle swap. If decide to go axle swap route, dont waste your $ regearing your stock axles. You didnt say what 85 you have, be it blazer, pickup or what, you may have a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup already (in which case ignore my alxe swap comments).

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

4.56's work nice for you combo. I wouldn't go any lower since you do alot of highway driving and towing.

5. dargo

dargo Registered Member

Damn you guys are fast! It's a 1/2 ton pickup. I always forget something. I don't anticipate going larger with this truck anytime in the near future. Main reason being that I don't have the $$ to do it right (axle swaps, etc.). So, unless I win the lottery sometime soon, I will be wheelin' this truck w/ 35's. Is there that much of a difference between the 4.56's and 4.88's? Besides a bit mor power, are the 4.88's going to have my 350 wound out at 65+/-mph on the highway? Thanks, you guys are awesome!!

6. Emmettology 101

@ 65mph -

You RPMs will be at 2922 with 4.56's in 3rd and 1992 in OD. With 4.88's, your RPMs will be at 3127 in 3rd and 2132 in OD.

Ran the 4.56's in my 86 with 35's and 700r4. In 3rd(at highwway sppeds) it seemed like the engine was rev a bit too high.

7. dargo

dargo Registered Member

Sounds like 4.56's are the way to go. Will I be able to comfortably run in OD on the highway w/ these?

8. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like 4.56's are the way to go. Will I be able to comfortably run in OD on the highway w/ these?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just my opinion... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I also have a turck runnign 35" AT's, 700r4 and 4.10's. The RPM's seem to be in a nice range in 3rd and OD. But I have the extra HP to make it feel comfy with the 383. Also had a k5 running 4.10's with a th350 and a sick(as in dying) 305. Wasn't a bad combo either, but needed more HP. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just my opinion... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I also have a turck runnign 35" AT's, 700r4 and 4.10's. The RPM's seem to be in a nice range in 3rd and OD. But I have the extra HP to make it feel comfy with the 383. Also had a k5 running 4.10's with a th350 and a sick(as in dying) 305. Wasn't a bad combo either, but needed more HP. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]My setup is basically the same except I have heavier 35" boggers and a mld 406. My setup runs pretty well but I wish I had 4.56's. My K5 tows a trailer and is in the mud 90% of the time.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Where are you located? If I was in a hilly or mountainous region I would definitely go with the 4.56. Flat lander a 4.10 might work better for you if it sees much highway use. I had a truck with 35's and 4.10's and it was perfect but this is flat country out here compared to some places. I was also mostly running mud at that time and wheel speed is nice to have.

11. dargo

dargo Registered Member

I'm in Minnesota. Hills aren't too bad in the Twin Cities area, but we have some once you get north. Nothing even bordering on mountainous though.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 35s and 4.10s with overdrive and mine was gutless, I always begged for more gear!

4.88 is minimum IMO. I'd go 5.13.

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If I had a 700R4 with 35's, I'd probably go with 4.88s also.

14. dargo

dargo Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If I had a 700R4 with 35's, I'd probably go with 4.88s also.

[/ QUOTE ] This truck will be a daily driver also. Gas mileage needs to stay decent too, relatively speaking of course.

15. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'd say at least 4.56. i've got the same combo w/ 33's and i think its just right.
    i think 4.88 might be the best choice. you want your truck to turn at least 2400 rpm when cruising in OD to keep the weak stock motor in its powerband.
    you'll probly gain mileage with lower gears causs you wont have to have your foot in the gas to keep the truck moving. higher cruise rpms doesnt necessarily translate to lower MPG.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would say that in a rear application, 4.56 would even be too weak in my opinion for a 10 bolt. Up front it doesn't matter.

I haven't run a 10 bolt rear in my truck for 4 years though, and if I still had 10 bolts I certainly wouldn't be changing the gears or pounding on my truck off road.

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Choose between the 4.88 and 4.56. I would venture to advise you that how you use your truck and where you live should be the major factors.

If you live over in that flata** east of the Mississippi and don't do much wheeling, go with the 4.56. If you got lots of hills and mountains (western US style) and do some wheeling, then drop the 4.88. Better to be safe than sorry.

18. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I'm running 4.11 w/35" and T700. It's similar to stock performance. If your going to tow, I would definatly go with the 4.88s, the overdrive will make up for them on the highway.

19. dargo

dargo Registered Member

Not to beat this to death, but I called a couple trans, shops here in the twin cities, and they are telling me that if I go with the 4.56's I wouold have to install new carriers. Is that correct info? I have been told that 4.11's are as high as I can go without new carriers front and back. Also, the estimates have been around $1500 for the front and rear. I got and estimate of $1100 for 4.11's if I keep the stock carriers. Do these prices seem right?

20. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

and while we're on the topic let's just say he was running 38's would 4.88 work alright?