Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what gears w/ 35s

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by jacksprat1599, Jan 16, 2005.

1. jacksprat1599

jacksprat1599 Registered Member

What gears do you guys run in your burbs w/ 35s? I need to regear my 14sf and can't decide between 4.56 or4.88.The 4.88 are about 150 bucks more than the 4.56s.I do have overdrive.Thanks

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

axle info needed

what gears do you have now ? you may half to switch carriers, that gets expensive. i run mostly mud and trails with mine and lots of street. it has sbc th350 with 4.10 and 38 TSLs great combo . when i whent to 35s in the summer for street it was great all around for trail and play and street. if money was nicer to me it would be 4.56 gears.:cool1:

3. jacksprat1599

I currently have 3.42 and I'm told their is only one carrier for the 14sf and that 4.88 is as low as you can go.I assume you are talking about the K30 with the big block and I have a 350.I can't hold overdrive now w/ 32s and the 3.42 gears so I think I at least need the 4.56 if not the 4.88 to be happy.I need to be able to use overdrive w/ 35s at 75mph without it downshifting all the time.

4. sweetk30

gear info

:cool1: that was my old truck that i used as refrence. but if you have over drive then 4.56 or 4.88 ok. but you didnt say frt axle. most likly need a carryer swap in the frt. p.s. watch out for the side gears in the sf14 thay are known for eating the carrier. i have seen a few in my travals.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have 35's with 4.56's and OD in my K5. I wish I had went with 4.88's.

Harley

6. jacksprat1599

Thanks for the reply,but why do you wish you had gone 4.88? will it not stay in OD on the highway or is it for offroad reasons?

7. jacksprat1599

Why do the side gears eat the carrier? is it something that wears out and causes this and if so what can I do to prevent it?

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It cruises fine on the highway but I would like my cruise RPM in OD to be a little higher then it is now. I think cruise at 65 is 2100rpm for me and my motor is barely at the bottom of its torque curve. If I had 4.88's my RPM would go up to 2300rpm and I would be in alot better cruise RPM for my truck.

I have a few more ponies (mild TPI 350) then a stock motor does in my truck but 2100 is just a little to low for my truck. With the added weight of a burb I think it would be worse. I know that is pratially a cam issue as well but this is a GM crate motor so I imagine a stock cam is fairly similar in grind. I don't know what motor you have but if it is stock get a little more gear to help make up for the lack of motor torque.

I used to run my 4.56's with 32" tires (31" actual height, my 35's are 33.5") after I did the axle swap, gears, and lockers. When I had that setup my truck ran like a raped ape and did alot better at cruising in OD. It kicked down alot less on hills because the motor was in its power band more. I even had a carb when I had the 32's and it still ran damn good with the 4.56's.

Now with the 35's and even with the TPI fuel injection I still don't have what I had, and I miss it. 4.88's would have put me back closer to that area I really liked.

Don't get me wrong I like my 4.56's but with the weight of a burb I would honestly consider the deeper gear. Run the numbers and figure out what speed you cruise at and what your motor likes then get the gears that match it the best. I cruise at 65-75 mostly so 4.88's match my setup best. If you cruise higher alot then a little less gear may not hurt, but always error on the side of the lower gear though. The OD tranny will like you more for it. The extra RPM helps pump more fluid to keep them cooler.
    Harley

9. sweetk30

14sf side gears.

the side gears eat a way at the housing on some carriers for the 14sf rear. not to say that yours is that way , but check before you order parts just in case. i have seen 3-4 of them in the last few years. but the one in my old 2x4 dd is just fine with 225,000 miles on it . and the ones i saw were in 4x4s and around 100,000 - 150,000 miles . just wanted to let you know before you open up the can of worms after you order the parts.

just pull the cover and look for shavings and thake a long screw driver and pry up on the side gears in the case . there should be some play . it has been on the right side for the ones i have seen.