Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Mar 8, 2000.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok sorry for this post I know it has been answered lots of times but I cant seem to find it in the messages now.. I am trying to find out what gears are in my 12 bolt.. I got some numbers of from the inside of it I believe they are 328883 or maybe even 388823 not sure do these numbers mean anything or are there different numbers I should be lookin for?

Scott
    78blazer

2. If you're inside the dif. then go ahead and count the number of teeth on the ring gear and the pinion and divide them !! Whalllaaaaa gear ratio !!! (Example) 41 on the ring and 11 on the pinion would be 3:73 !!

<font color=red>BigBurb<font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG]

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

from what I am told by members of my local club is that if you jack up one side of your rig, turn the tire one rotation count the turns of the driveline then divide by 2. this is the approximate ratio.
    Example: the tire turns once, the driveline turns 7.5 turns or so, divide 7.5 by 2 you've got 3.73 gears

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

4. Dorian

Dorian Newbie

Ok sorry for this post I know it has been answered lots of times but I cant seem to find it in the messages now.. I am trying to find out what gears are in my 12 bolt.. I got some numbers of from the inside of it I believe they are 328883 or maybe even 388823 not sure do these numbers mean anything or are there different numbers I should be lookin for>>

All GM ring gears have the ring/pinion tooth count stamped on them. They are right near the numbers you cited, (I'm assuming these are the ones from the outside edge of the ring gear) but, for example, there will be two more sets of numbers, like" 37 14 " Just divide the big number by the little number and theres the exact gear ratio.
    Dorian

5. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I found the numbers on there last night after this post 14:43 ... After i found those I then remembered what the origional post said that I was looking for..

Scott
    78blazer