Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 14, 2000.

My friend has 33" tires on his Blazer and need to know what is the best all around gear for this setup. He is in the process of redoing the diff's and it has 3.08's in it now. He is moving to Alaska this summer so he has like a 4 or 5 thousand mile trip ahead of him. he won't be doing alot of highway driving after this move but four wheelin alot more. He has a turbo 350 in it. I am sure he doesn't want to go to extremes but the 3.08 just make it a real dog. What would be optimum 3.73? 4.11?

1. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

4:10 are his best bet. Most 350s like 2500 rpm or more to cruise. 3:73s with his 33s won't get him there and he'll end up lugging with poor fuel economy.

2. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

Make the gear swap after you arrive at your new destonation. Your wallet will love you for it and so will you. As for the gear selection it depends what you have propelling them. I have 3.73's and 35 inchers but I also have a 400sb with vortec heads and elebrock goodies. So I have no problem getting around. As the guy in the ford 3/4 ton truck with a 460 found out the other day! Nothin but the tail lights.

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I have a '73K5 w/33" tires and 3.73:1 gears. Also have a SM465 and NP205. I like the gearing a lot for the highway. At 75MPH I'm pulling about 2800rpm and have plenty of power to pass anything on the road. I have bogged it down a couple of times in deep mud and would go to 4.11 gears if I didn't have to drive so far to get to good wheeling spots. For everyday driving and occational off road use, I think 3.73 is ideal. For more off road use (and highway below 60MPH) I think 4.11's or lower would be the way to go. Check out this site for various formulas to give you some ideas. http://www.public.asu.edu/~luv24x4/gearcalc.htm
    I get from 10 to 12mpg on the highway at 75mph(4" lift)
    the Goose

4. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I'm the dude who's trying to figure out what gears to go with. Here's a little bit of added info.
    350 .30 over, Crane Energizer cam, Edelbrock Performer Intake and Carb.. 203 xfer case with MileMarker conversion kit. I will be pulling a pretty big trailor with all my crap in it all the way up there. Does this change the
    suggestions any? I don't know if the 3.08's will give me enough low end to get "effectivly" rolling with the trailor and I'll be going over some massive mountains too.

Thanks

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]