Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What gives?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by j24kiss, Aug 31, 2001.

1. j24kiss

j24kiss Registered Member

OK, I have totally rebuilt the whole front suspension on my blazer, everything is new,Balljoints,draglink,and so on. The only thing that is not new is the gearbox. The problem is I can turn the steering wheel to the left 2 &1/4 turns and the right just 1 & 1/4. It hardly will turn right at all. The frame is not cracked anywhere around the gearbox. There was no apparent damage to the trucks front end either. Is the gearbox bad? Or can the pitman arm position be changed to correct the problem? Thanks

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Is your pitman arm correctly centered in the gear box when your wheels are straight? The way to test this is to remove your drag link from the pitman arm. Turn the wheel all the way to one side. Now, turn it all the way to the other side counting how many revolutions you make. Now, divide the number of revolutions by 2 and turn the wheel back that many times. Your gear box is now "centered".

I recommend at that time locking your steering wheel into place so it doesn't turn any more. Now lift the vehicle off the ground and go under the front. Re-attach the drag link. Turn the drag link adjusting it so that your tires are now centered.

If you do this your gear box and steering linkage are centered. If you do all that and it still isn't working correctly, have someone inside the cab steering (with the vehicle off the ground) and you watch everything under the front. See if anything is obstructing your linkage. Do you have a steering stabilizer? If so, disconnect it for these tests. It could be the problem.

Finally, if everything works off the ground but it still doesn't work on the ground, do the same steering test (someone inside steering while you're watching) with the vehicle on the ground. I had loose u-bolt nuts on my spring packs one time and as I would turn right (the drag link pushes to the rear of the vehicle) it was actually sliding the axle on the springs. I had almost now right steering!

I am sure there are lots of other things that could go wrong, but these are a few things to check. I hope one of these solves your problem.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

3. j24kiss

j24kiss Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Peace.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Also, do you have a lift? The angle change can drastically affect the steering if that's not corrected with a dropped pitman or raised steering arm.
    I'd agree that it sounds like the pitman is not centered right, though. I think lock to lock is supposed to be around 3 1/2 turns total. If so, then your box is ok, just way off on the draglink adjustment.

Good luck!!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I would say draglink adjustment

Surfing is Life...

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Yep, adjust that draglink.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44