Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what got blown on my computrer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bryguy00b, Sep 13, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

we had a power surge hear the other day and it blew something in my computer. i turn it on, power supply comes on, and the power led comes on as well as the HD led. but the HD does nothing, and nothing comes on the screen or does anything, just the sound of the power supply ,i un- hooked every thing from the motherbourd, and the same thing happens, with or with out the ram. does this mean that my mohterbourd is blown? i cant think of what else it might be cuase i would think that with every thing unplugeed it should at least boot the the bios of the motherbourd.

Bryan-thanx

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There is a chance.. Thou slight that it just blew the CPU.. If you can barrow one and check it..Just to see if you get anything else..

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea another thing i didnt mention is that the cpu fan does come on and the mother bourd light comes on on it..so on the other hand if it WAS blows it doesnt seem like that stuff would happen...

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It could either be the motherboard or the powersupply, rarley is it the CPU but it is possible. The dead boxes that I have seen caused by a power surge, The motherboard ate it. If it was anything else like the RAM, it would give you beep codes.

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

But he said the power supply does come on.. If the CPU is blown then you wouldn't get any beep codes..

6. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

If by your comp smells REALLY bad (like rotten eggs) then you blew your CPU/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif. If not then my money whould be on the PSU. Some PSU's have fuses inside, Although most don't. You might have blown a fuse. If you diden't, I'd say its shot.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

but i dont see how it could be the power supply if it turns on!?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There's two circuits in the powersupply, 12v and either 5v or 3v. You could have just blown the 3 or 5v one, the 12 volt runs the lights, hard drives and fans, the 3 or 5v runs the MoBo. </font color>

9. Sandman

There's a few more also, +12V, -12V, +5V, -5V. Sometimes, they can supply the voltage to begine to enable the mother board but not be able to supply the current. But its going to be either the power supply, motherboard or even the cpu. The power supply is the easiest to check. You can go down to the computer store and get one, and if thats not it, take it back. The next easiest thing to check is the cpu. Pop it out and stuff in a friends system and see what happens. The computer shops around here will test one but they charge for it. If both those things are OK, you know its the motherboard. The cheapest online source of computer parts I have found is www.pricewatch.com

Good luck with it.

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea ok now that you guys said that about the power supply im begging to think more maybe thats what it is. maybe ill take a run over to compusa or something and see if i could pick one up..i do however have a 250 watt one that i could probobly try..but for my computer (i used an athlon 750) they recemended at least a 300 watt and thats what i have in it. i bought the computer as a kit and biult it from there..but ill try the one i have..

11. Sandman

You could shove in the 250W and see if it posts. It might save you a drive.

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i did it and nothing happened, same thing...also did i mention...with either power supply..it will turn on with the button on the case..but it will not shut of..i have to flip the power switch on the power supply it self to power of the computer..?

Bryan

13. Sandman

Starting to look like a motherboard. The power supply's ussually either work or they dont. If you saw no change with a different supply, its most likely safe to rule it out. Bummer. Time to look at the motherboard or CPU. Good luck man.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My first thought is Motherboard. I walked away in the middle of typing this, so I don't remember if you said the computer was on when it got hit. If it was off, I seriously doubt your CPU is hurt, but I think your board is toast. Most power spikes will cook the power supply, but on modern systems, it's entirely possible for the PS to send the spike to the MB rails. I think there's also a chance your board is cooked and it's unrelated to a power spike. I've seen it happen a hundred times, when I stand there swearing such and such a problem happened only after such and such event, and in the end, it's turns out to be an unrelated coincidence the the part failed after the event.

I just cooked a power supply in one of my test machines in my basement. pain in the arse, has a funky PS with P1 and P2, then some funky control connectors, I guess an in-between AT/ATX PS... Anybody got one lying around they would mind sharing??