Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What happened??????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TWISTEDJACK, Nov 7, 2002.

1. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am trying to figure out how my motor sucked up 5 gallons of water last weekend. Both valve covers, dipstick tube and air cleaner were above the water but somehow it pulled 5 gallons of water into the oil pan. If you need picture of how deep it was see my post I hate mud. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Darn, how big is your oil pan? 5 Gallons........Sounds like maybe you have a leaky front or rear main and the crank case vacuume pulled it in. That is an awful lot though to be pulled in through such a small opening.

John

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have seen it get in through the exhaust valves befor /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Was it muddy water in the engine or coolant? I hydrolocked one several years ago and when one of the rods perforated the cylinder wall it let all of the engine coolant drain into the crankcase. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I agree with Mudhog, probably came through the exhaust.

6. TWISTEDJACK

That was my guess too, that it came in through the exhaust valves, the pipes were in the water about 2 1/2 feet for almost an hour before it died. When I popped the hood water and oil was running out of the valve cover breather. It was muddy water not anti-freeze. I figure that the oil pump screen got plugged and that's what took out the crank. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If your tailpipe was under water and you shut off the truck the motor will suck water back in through the exhaust when restarted.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I did this once. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I got stuck in a mud/water pit and left the truck running the whole time. When I got pulled out, the truck ran like it had no power at all. Drove it home slowly and did the inspection in the garage.

Turns out the motor was half submerged in the water. Water had gotten into the crankcase thru the harmonic balancers seal, on the timing cover, down there. That was the only place the water could have gotten in since everything else was not under.

When the motor is spinning, the balancer is riding the seal, this causes a heat build-up therefore when cold water meets it, the seal will not do its job. Water will seep in and fill the crankcase up.

Luckily for me, all I had to do was drain the pan and drop the oil filter and install/pour all new in again. I did this 3 times before calling it finished. Just wanted to make sure all the water was flushed.

I even pulled the plugs before starting it again to make sure the water was not in the cylinders. Lucky there wasnt. Today the motor still runs fine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. TWISTEDJACK

That sounds a whole lot more possible than coming in from the exhaust and past the rings. I wasn't so lucky I filled it to the top of the valve covers. If there is a next time I think I will just shut it down.