Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What happens when gas gets expensive

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Mar 9, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

'This guy is killed for 12 bucks? In Canada? Unbelievable'
    Gas station attendant, 24, dragged 7.5 km under car after trying to foil teenage thieves

Maple Ridge RCMP have arrested two teenagers after a 24-year-old gas station attendant was run over and dragged under a car for 7.5 kilometres when he tried to prevent the theft of gas.

RCMP said at a press conference Tuesday that Grant De Patie, who worked at an Esso station at the intersection of Dewdney Trunk Road and 248 Street in Maple Ridge, died in the early-Tuesday incident.

Police said the incident began when a stolen white 1990 Chrysler LeBaron pulled into the station shortly after midnight.

The teenage driver put $12.30 worth of unleaded gasoline into the car, then began to leave without paying. De Patie put himself in front of the car and refused to move until the driver paid.

An RCMP statement said the driver ran De Patie over and dragged his body under the car over a circuitous 7.5-kilometre route. The lifeless body was finally dislodged from under the car at 240 Street and 112 Avenue in Albion.

Maple Ridge RCMP Cpl. Bernie Smandych said the car, which had the licence plate number 561 FDN, was found at 9 a.m. Tuesday near a medical facility in the 22900 block of Lougheed Highway at 116 Avenue.

Smandych said a 16-year-old Maple Ridge youth and a 15-year-old Pitt Meadows youth have been arrested and placed in custody. Their names have not been released, but police said the 16-year-old is familiar to them.

Full Story - http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=dd643397-2805-4076-8b53-8cb79eab2c91

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

All I can say is glad my gas pumping days are over although I would never stand in front of the car, I would have just taken down the plate. I never did have anybody drive off on me the 4 years I worked at the service station...

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Good thing they have those gun laws in Canada, that way nobody ever gets killed.:whistle:

I don't know what to say; a 16 year old who is so ignorant as to kill someone over $12 ($12 Canadian even) is a sure sign of the times we live in. I bet if that kid had gotten a spanking now and then as a boy he would have a bit more respect for other people.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Stolen car, stupid kids. That happened just across the river from where I live...

Apparently the Gas station's policy is to get a plate number if you can, and let them go.

The thing I read this morning was that the guy was pinned under the car face down...which suggests he was mowed down from behind rather than facing the car.

The number one use for a stolen car around here is to commit other crimes to pay for a habit. Joyrides are actually pretty rare.

For these kids...I think the death penalty should be re-instated. I think the method should be a large belt sander to approximate what they did to this poor smuck.

Rene

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I really don't see the relevance to our gun laws Evan.

Rene

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I don't think somebody read the story.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just LOVE how our gun laws get dragged into every argument, regardless of the topic........:screwy:

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

He's probably referring to the eden like view some people have of Canada with thier free health care and no gun policy

But your gun policy does suck

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Damn, try to make a joke around here and the Canadians revolt, eh.

LIghten up, you silly Canucks!

I was making light of the fact that... Oh never mind. I apologize for joking about Canadas gun laws, I'll make a note to not do it again. Criminy... :rolleyes:

10. Resurrection_Joe

Should have had that flip off smily you pack!

I was just reading through Canadas laws, dear ****ing god, I'll have to save up for a katana before visiting Canmore

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

great then they guy would have been shot insted of just run over and draged, or even better.
    the guy could have shot the two people in the car, but not befor they retoun fire and every body dies.

guns are fine and dandy but are not an end all solution to the worlds problems.

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The attendant made a very bad decision to stand in front of the car, if that is indeed what happened. The intent was admirable and very brave but not real smart. People who commit crimes do not have the same moral boundaries as the rest of us.

Hope they dole out a punishment to fit the act. Life in prison is just a waste of time. I feel very sorry for his family.

13. Resurrection_Joe

I never said anything to relate pistols to this situation

You don't need to shoot someone for stealing gas

Proper regs means those kids wouldn't have guns with similar laws to the US

Besides, with thier mentality, the law isn't much use anyway

Damn kneejerker! :D

If I had to stop a car, if thier not trying to run me down, I'm just taking out the tire or side glass via blades