Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What happens when Genuine Gears are put to the test

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You sure do.

I have never had an issue with the Yukons, good choice. I'd say I sell a few sets every week.:grin:

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the pinion nut loosening was the root cause of the issue. Do you think the pinion nut issue was due to issues with the gear set?

I'd be surprised is any gear set could survive that type of situation with a loose pinion or bad pinion bearings.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, kind of wondering the same thing...what do you mean the "nut let go"? Did it come with the gear set and broke? Did the threaded end of the pinion break off?

I can see those problems being Yukons fault, but if the nut just backed off, well, that happens even with GM parts.

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It stripped all of the treads out of the nut letting the pinion suck into the ring gear until it bound.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Get that K5 a depends! :thumb: ;)

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

thought it was the genuine that let go....

Who makes the best ring and pinions?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Depends on the application. In my opinion the best gears for a D60 are Dana/Spicer's gears.

That said, the Yukon gears offer a great value for strength vs. cost., and the thought of fragging a D60 ring and pinion that is installed correctly is just messed up. :crazy:

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So without a bunch of driveline expertise under my belt, what caused the threads to strip off? Soft metal, just too weak to hold the threads? That would mean the pinion was trying to move straight back as I see it, and that isn't my understanding of the load on the pinion....it should try to climb the ring gear, which would put SOME backwards "pull" on the pinion.

I have had a loose pinion with my GM setups (couple of times) but nothing that catastrophic, I'm sure the loads were much less at the time.

Is it a possibility that the bearings were the root cause? I would think that whatever holds the pinion gear steady would have had to fail before the nut did, since if the pinion was "tight" in place, there would be no force causing the threads to strip. Does that make sense? What other possibilities are there?

Not disagreeing that the gear set was at fault, just thinking out loud. Is there really that much "pull" on the pinion that the nut is at risk of failing if everything else is setup correct?

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

seems like some locktite would solve this problem but i wouldn't know.

From the picture it looks like the pinion had some pretty decent stress on it and if the nut was a little loose It would make sense.

11. Sandman

I Believe that I was trying to back up a little when it happened. That would put all the pressure onto the nut.

OK,, The gears were set up fine. The bearings had been recently replaced and were in good shape. Everything was also nice and tight as it was checked the night before the run in a bolt check I try to do every night when in Moab. The gears had a several good runs on them with no trouble.

I think in this particualr situation with the vehicle weight on the tires, the nut let loose. It pulled the threads right out of the nut to wear I was able to spin the threads off of the pinion and I can run my finger on the inside of the nut and its smooth.

I can see the nut going but something else should have gone first. Like the 1310 U joint that I still run thinking that it would be the weak link. So I think they give you a cheap pinion nut along with the gears.

I ended up calling HBRK in Boise, Idaho and they hooked me up and gave me a heck of a deal on the gears and the install kit. I should be back together this weekend!

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

thats ****ed up.....you pay 250 bucks for a ring and pinion and give you a weak pinion nut?

13. Sandman

Maybe not, I just learned that multiple uses of the pinion nut can weaken them to the point of failure. I've had this nut on and off for various reasons so the might be the root cause.

The advice I was given was to use a nut to set them up and then use a fresh nut for the final install.

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

lmfao at your sig..... hahahahahahahahahahaa.

15. Sandman

Show me the junkyard with 5.13 gears.

16. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

it doesn't exist.....If you can find one I need 4.56's

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A Genuine ring and pinion is about $99 on sale. :grin: :grin:

18. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

who cares? Its not like I was telling him the price is 250.

If this is the case with genuines nuts im sure its the same for others.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Everything I've read and everyone I've talked to tells me to replace the pinion nut every install. I wouldn't do it if I had just done an install and then changed yokes but if I took it on and off a couple times I'd replace it.

20. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Only if it's a reverse rotation D60. Didn't GM use only standard rotation front D60's?

If it's a standard rotation, front D60, when you are driving forward all the thrust loads are reacted by the small, outer pinion bearing, which means the only thing keeping the pinion in place is the pinon nut and the pressed fit of the outer bearing.