Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What happens when you go grinder mad? 13 bolt pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 9, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

finally got picture of the 13 bolt...
    [​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Good luck getting that thing to not leak... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I second the good luck.....all i did when I ground my 14FF is I just ground the lip off and rounded it off nice and smooth /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah thats why I bought the Bluetorch Fabworks cover wtih the 3/8" thick flange.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I got bored a few days and kept going and going then when I broke into the bolt are I said screw it and kept going.

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I wonder if it is possible to weld in some extra metal on the inside of the diff to create more sealing area? WOuld probably be hard and complicated but if it worked it would be sweet.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

considered stuff like this before, welding cast iron = no I'm not gonna. I am gonna make a skid plate so rocks aren't bashing that thing since I just went too far

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

silicone caulking should do the trick, especially with the the modification being at 12 o clock of the diff housing, i think youll be fine,

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The diff is pictured upside down...the bottom has been shaved for better ground clearance.

Rene

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

quite correct. I am going to use plenty of RTV and my Bluetorch cover and just hope it works out.

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

If all else fails, start looking for a new housing /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I meant welding it in general, not necessarily for you specifically. I also was thinking about the strength issues of welding outside and inside of the diff. On the inside there would be no bashing or hitting of the welded on piece, its only purpose would be to provide surface area for sealing.

So basically I am thinking out loud on this one, is it possible to weld inside to create more surface area for sealing but not to add any structural integrity or anything like that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Because if you could it would make it possible to trim more off a 14 bolt without sacrificing sealing ability.

13. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

You can weld on the housing, as long as you know what you are doing.

These are pics of 1TONTJ on Pirate

OOOOOOHHHHHHH
    [​IMG]

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
    [​IMG]
    The ring gear in those pics has been turned down.I feel this is a bit extreme. You can easily get 1.5" out of it with not getting into the ring gear.

This what I am doing, short of turning the ring gear, although I am going to truss the tubes over the top just cuz a K5 is heavier than a jeep.Tig welding it would probably be best. I know you are'nt going this far, but I thought I would point it out so you know people do weld on them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Holy Crap Batman! That's some ground clearencing! I'm impressed! What did he use to weld that with!? Very Curious! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Holy Crap Batman! That's some ground clearencing! I'm impressed! What did he use to weld that with!? Very Curious! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Tig welded /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

How does he plan on sealing that 12 inches of boltless terrain? Seams like a good 'ol peel and eat to me..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

This is apic of his first cover. This is normally what I see.
    [​IMG]

Being that it is 1/2 on the bottom you could easily add two 1/4x20 bolt to help seal.

18. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Nice cover... One thing I don't understand is if you're going to go through that kind of trouble to make such a thing... Why not redo the whole cover... What if you hit the edge of a rock on the side of that ring gear protector... You'll puncture that cover quicker than crap and still be out of service... I never did understand that ring gaurd mentallity... It looks like some great work and alot of forthought.... Very interesting and possibly on the future list of mods! Only thing I would change is the effort put into the cover! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it's not a ring gear guard they add that to clear the ring gear with 5.13 gears ( 4.88's also ???) the ring gear rubs the diff coverthey section the cover and weld in that plate to give it the extra clearance

20. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Personally, I think you're wrong.... You might be right, but I have 5:13s in my 14FF and have a stock cover and NOTHING rubs! The ring gears don't get any larger in diameter.... The r&p only changes how many teeth, not diameter... In other words, Hypathetically, a set of 2:73 don't have a diameter any smaller than a set of 5:13s.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif