Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what happens when you hit a peice of 6x8x11 3/4" white oak at 75mph

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BowtieBlazer, May 22, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

what happens when you hit a peice of 6x8x11 3/4\" white oak at 75mph

what happens when you hit a peice of 6x8x11 3/4" white oak at 75mph?
    http://www.2bbdelta.org/trailreports/mg_may17_2003/IMG_0217.JPG
    Any idea of how big the wood was:
    http://www.2bbdelta.org/trailreports/mg_may17_2003/IMG_0220.JPG

You can get the idea of how bad it was when I hit that peice of wood on a coastal LA hwy at 1 in the morning because my headlights didnt catch it soon enough in the middle of my lane change to avoid it. So I got to change a tire in teh middle of BFE with the closest light of course being a billboard about 1/4 of a mile away. The rim is screwed, I'll try and get closer pics, at the ridge above that ping is a 8" crack in the rim....purdy messed up. More than likely fell off a 18wheeler where it was used for soem sort of cargo chak.

No real damage done, I was told by almost everyone who saw the rim I'm lucky I didnt flip, I am fine I just feel lucky to have hit it, a car could have seen much much worse consequences. That chunk measures almost halfway up my roomate's mustang GT rim. At interstate speeds this is never a happy ending even with 31's /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Re: what happens when you hit a peice of 6x8x11 3/4\" white oak at 75mph

that sucks....ran over a ladder once, same deal, lights didnt pick it up

3. BowtieBlazer

As often as I hear about ladders being hit, how do people not notice they just lost a ladder.

What other junk have other people hit, other than animals.
    We had a close call once with a wooden banker's desk in my friend's 67 mustang, also in the back of it they had 3 full 5-6gallon plastic gas cans, WTF a desk about to fall out and gass right after, was like a rolling bomb.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif glad your ok /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BowtieBlazer

My roomate pointed out its the perfect size to turn upright balance on one foot in the early AM and let the Karate Kid in me out.

6. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    My roomate pointed out its the perfect size to turn upright balance on one foot in the early AM and let the Karate Kid in me out.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

ouch...glad your ok /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like a block used under the front of a low bed trailer. A lot of them don't use jacks, they just keep a couple big blocks like that in a tray.

The weirdest thing I've had to avoid was an empty 55 gallon barrel, luckily I had plenty of time but it was still close.

Rene

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well that sure sucks!! Glad to hear you're in one piece at least.

I sort of did something similar, except I got run off the road, up and over a stump at ??mph. I drove for a half mile before noticing the flat.

Check your steering linkage, my drag link was somehow bent when it happened, and I can't remember specifically, but I think the wheel bearing was hurt and disintegrated soon after, too.

Before repair attempt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After repair attempt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

We had a customer get his Mercedes brought in on a wrecker, he hit a Toyota 3rd member laying in the road. Totally destroyed the underside of the car, broke the oil pan and broke the tranny housing.

11. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

You can get the idea of how bad it was when I hit that peice of wood on a coastal LA hwy at 1 in the morning

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, that's where I left that, you mind dropping that off at my house next time you're in Lafayette. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously though, that sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Are you gonna claim it on you insurance?

12. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude, that's where I left that, you mind dropping that off at my house next time you're in Lafayette.

[/ QUOTE ] ya maybe through the front window /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

You forgot about the time you and I were going to the hunting lease at about 6am on a Saturday morning, when a family of about 6 ducks decided to make its way to the other side of I-10. Luckily with Josh's quick reflexes, we swerved to the other lane and just missed the last duck.

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    we swerved to the other lane and just missed the last duck.

[/ QUOTE ] Darn, better luck next time.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. BowtieBlazer

As an avid duck hunter, I'm glad I missed, appeared to be a mallard hen and about 5-6 little ones scooting across from rice field to rice field. I'm sure some a-hole outlaw killed them one morning with the others above his limit but atleast in that aspect it was conservation.

Now squirrels... Did you know if you honk after they run out the road they usually dart back into the road....try it sometime. Its like a video game /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    ya maybe through the front window

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Hardcore:
    I'll be in Lafayette all day friday and saturday doing the hydro clutch swap, Bayou Blazer and maybe another friend or two will be hanging out, give me a call on my cell if you want a piece of the action or to see someone gut their truck. local lafayette cell # 344-1585.

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    Now squirrels... Did you know if you honk after they run out the road they usually dart back into the road....try it sometime. Its like a video game

[/ QUOTE ] first of all... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifAnd I will not, I already limited out on chipmuncks last elk season...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. BowtieBlazer

I acidentally tagged one beaver last year and it just layed there afterwards, I think the boat on the trailer I was pulling caught it off guard.

Wait this is sounding twisted...
    So yeah after I tagged the beaver it just layed there. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

18. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Tagged a Beaver eh? Did that happen to be MY big orange boat you were pulling that took it out? Hmmm, Might have to up the rental on this summer's Lake Bruin Trip, LOL.

19. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Not an animal, but hell of a big deal! I was driving down I35 going up to Dallas, and a pair of big rig tires came at me doing 70!!! Of course I was doing 80 the other way, but the whole drum, axle shaft, and both tires came flying down the road!.... Luckly I swerved and they went into the ditch on the other side of the road, but hell if I hit those!

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifWish I could've seen the trucker's face when he got out of the truck later! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. 85army tank

85army tank 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifwhen i was younger i was going to a friends house.i had an 1980 cutlass with a 350 rocket in it it was a vary fast car and any way i allways was speeding in it and not paying attention like most stupid kids with fast cars and all of a sudden there was a compleat engine sitting in the middle of the road and i just missed it by a few inches the car behind me wasnt so lucky cuse he was tailgating me and hit it cuse i swerved so fast he didnt even see it he hit it hard and realy fawked his car up it must have fallen out of this truck that was sitting just up the road he must have been haulling it and didnt tie it down that was the day i started to pay more attention to what was going on in front of the car instead of worrying about how fast i could go /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif