Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What happens when your gas pedal gets stuck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bassin4507, Sep 1, 2004.

1. bassin4507

bassin4507 Registered Member

Well I finally got my beater truck on the road last week. It's a 78 K20 with a 400 SBC. The previous owner hacked a lot of things in it. I took it out for a drive and the first time I floored it, it wouldn't let off. Luckly there were no cars in front on me and the road was pretty straight. After a little while I was able to get the gas pedal unstuck and made it to my friends house, where I discover that I am leaking antifreeze all over the place. Looks like the seal from the water pump to the block let go. So we tow it to my house and the trucks been sitting for a week, while I am out fishing. Going to put a new water pump in, but what would cause a gas pedal to stick? By the way its a Holley 4 barrel with mechanical secondaries. I don't know much about carbs.

2. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

linkage/cable binding somewhere , or carpet or something actually holding the petal /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. bassin4507

There is no carpet or insulation on the floor. I just looked at it, and I think the little pin that opens the 4 barrel was doing it, because it's all bent up, and the throttle only stuck at wide open. Anyone know where I could get a new clip thing for a holley carb? Junkyard maybe?

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Holley sells replacement parts.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I finally got my beater truck on the road last week. It's a 78 K20 with a 400 SBC. The previous owner hacked a lot of things in it. I took it out for a drive and the first time I floored it, it wouldn't let off. Luckly there were no cars in front on me and the road was pretty straight. After a little while I was able to get the gas pedal unstuck and made it to my friends house, where I discover that I am leaking antifreeze all over the place. Looks like the seal from the water pump to the block let go. So we tow it to my house and the trucks been sitting for a week, while I am out fishing. Going to put a new water pump in, but what would cause a gas pedal to stick? By the way its a Holley 4 barrel with mechanical secondaries. I don't know much about carbs.

[/ QUOTE ] My first reaction when the gas pedal sticks is too turn the vehicle off. It's happened a few times in my life.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There is no carpet or insulation on the floor. I just looked at it, and I think the little pin that opens the 4 barrel was doing it, because it's all bent up, and the throttle only stuck at wide open. Anyone know where I could get a new clip thing for a holley carb? Junkyard maybe?

[/ QUOTE ] the little clip that opens the secondaries should be bent not a straight piece. I had a Holley that stuck wide open so much it was kind of funny. My problem was throttle shaft bushings. The throttle shafts with the butterflies on them would actually stick and woulcn't close. I used to slammed my foot on the gas a couple times and it let loose. It happened to often to shut it off everytime. Good thing I drove stick, if it was gonna be a scary situation I dropped it out of gear.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd ditch the holley in favor of a quadrajet--dont know about others on here,but I have had noting but trouble with holley carbs,with the exception of their "economaster"carbs they had back in the 80's.I had a double pumper 750 cfm holley from a big block camaro given to me for a 74 GMC 2wd I had with a 454 in it--I drove it for about 50 miles(with great difficulty,flooding,starving,backfiring)until it finally caught on fire and melted into the intake,nearly burning the truck down with it.That was not my only sour experience with holley carbs,and many of my friends who have had them hate them with a passion too.The only ones that I've seen work ok are brand new ones out of the box,seems they are real fussy as far as jetting,accelerator pump settings,and they tend to leak.Older ones can blow the power valve real easy with just one backfire,they finally have a kit to prevent that.I replaced them with Carter AFB or Edelbrock carbs and they work great on the street,but they are a poor choice for off road driving though..somtimes you cant beat the factory parts--and you wont likely have any linkage problems with a factory stock quadrajet setup.Most time the jerry-rigging that is mandatory to put an aftermarket carb on your engine is whats responsible for the pedal sticking to the floor! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.The back wall of my shop has some damage due to a stuck throttle linkage--I dont try power braking my trucks in the shop anymore! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i remember the first time my pedal stuck to the floor, i panicked and turned the radio off /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hahaha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Unhook the cable and make sure the pedal assm is working freely, then try manually operating the butterflys to see if they are sticking due to worn bushings. If neither of these are binding try the cable (unhooked) to see if it works freely. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jon v

jon v Registered Member

My 79 Jimmy used to do that. Bought a new cable from the Chevy dealer. No more problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

my dads toyota corolla did that last winter when I went to start it up... it scared the jellybeans out of me! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

It turns out since it was winter it got froze like that /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

This happened to me when I hit it to the floor once with an edelbrock. The culprit was the clip for the cable to the carb would catch on the air cleaner.

14. bassin4507

For some reason on this truck, you can't turn the engine off unless it's in park, and I can't do that while moving. Anyway I found a new clip and put that one. So everything works fine for the time being. I will probably be replaceing the carb before the winter time. The previous owner messed with it real bad, even removing the butterflys for the choke, why I don't know.

15. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

If that ever happens to me ill just wait till i run outa gas /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif