Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What has our Army come to?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by midnitewarya, Aug 2, 2006.

1. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Many of you know that I spent some time on Active duty, most of which was spent in places over the sea. During my ventures, I amassed quite a bit of extra equipment. Changing units often, and being lent out to units even more often allowed me to grab alot of "Army Booty". Magazines, TA-50, Unifroms, knives, Gas Masks, Kevlars, and much more could not escape me.

I now have a whole two closets, something like 7 duffel bags full of stuff that has been reapropriated to me.

I got off of Active Duty a little while ago, and when I did, I outprocessed with a clean bill at CIF. (Central Issue Faciltiy). Meaning, all of that "booty" is mine.

Why do I hold on to it?

For the Post Apocolyptic Future of course.

Anyway, my wife, who is currently on Active Duty, has blabbed to members of her unit of my ability to outfit a small platoon. The Officers in her unit are supposed to go to the range and qualify on their 9mm's next week, and guess what, they are short about 20 9mm magazines.

Naturally, my wife just has to tell 1SG that I have plenty. Now all my precious 9mm mags (not all, but 12 of 'em) are on her 1SG's desk, awaiting qualification. Will I ever see my precious beauties again. Not likely.

I had my revenge though. When I was talking to the 1SG about the mags, he said he could have me arrested for having so much stuff that belongs to the Army. I told him that there was no way he could prove that I didnt buy all that crap, and if the cops did show up, I knew that they wouldn't shoot me with their empty guns. He didn't laugh, but I sure did.

I have the satisfaction of knowing that my wifes 1SG is running a unit that has to harrass civilians to make it's equipment needs.

Next time I hear of a Humvee breaking down, I'm dressing the K5 up like a Civic.

What is our Army coming to?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I packed out more TA-50 in my household goods than I'm taking with me. Some people are just not savvy equipment scroungers. I have the usual two sets of TA-50, one for inspection and one for field use plus a whole bunch of other stuff. If your wife's 1SG is that much of an ass just ask him if he's short on pricke8's as well !!!!

3. midnitewarya

:haha: :haha:

I never could figure out how I would come back with more equipment than I had when I left.

100% there with ya on the 2x TA-50.

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, so judging from the two of you - I think you answered your own question.

5. midnitewarya

No, I got out, that old codger is gonna stay in and ruin it for everyone.

6. resurrected_jimmy

Every time I get a rig I like they change something or come out with a new standard making the CIF issue equipment obslete and require us to jump through our ass trying to aquire RFI equipment. I have no less than 3 complete sets field of uniforms BDU, DCU, ACU and TA-50 for all three plus old school LBE, LBV, chicken vest, full set of CVC nomex and two IBA's. I'm not authorized to wear my old IBA and my current one still has shrapnel in it from 2 years ago but I can't get it replaced:doah:

BOHICA+FUBAR= any normal day around here

7. midnitewarya

Till the last day I was there, I wore my LBV and Buttpack over my IBAS. Used to catch hell for it, but I wasn't about to fork over the money, and they weren't about to issue it to me.

I got out a little to soon. I saw that they are issuing actual CamelBacks now, not that rip off they were giving us two years ago. Oh well.

8. resurrected_jimmy

they have gone back to the skillcrap version and you are now responisble for replacement bladders

9. midnitewarya

:haha:

Looks like the soggy blouse saga will continue...

That crap never ends. I remember freaking out when I broke my Oakleys. Luckily, I came across some...

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

You guys must be sucking up to the Supply sergeant! When I was supply sgt, any shortages came out of my pocket! I did "find" a M2 barrel, that I traded to a Lt for an aiming circle for my CO, who lost ours. I used to love going to PDO and scrounging. I could make up 95% of my shortages by getting stuff from them. Just sign a form, take the busted gear, and turn it BACK IN, to replace lost TA 50 stuff.:haha: :haha:

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I assume were talkin' 782 gear, or "duece" gear as the grunts call it. Man most of stuff I had was Vietnam era. I still have a nice little cache. Enough to outfit me and my boy.

John