Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What have I done? *Edit: NWF comes through again!*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Nov 10, 2006.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hope I can get it together again. :yikes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

BTW, does anyone have any brilliant insight as to a way to put the intermediate shaft back into my 205? Was a pain to take out, and with the shims, tight fitting tapered roller bearings and all, I'm skeptical about the reassembly. Gonna be tough.:crazy:

One other question, this case will be off to my machinist to be bored out for the larger 32-spline bearing. I got the bearing and input shaft from NWF. Shouldn't they have included the snap ring that goes on the input shaft and retains the input bearing? I didn't get one... Is that something you can even get at a parts store?

3. dabears73k5

dabears73k5 Registered Member

ah a np205. Mine went back together alot easier then it came apart. Remeber to put the shift rails back in the right order or ti will be a pain. Good luck man

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I was just thinking maybe I could tip the case up onto it's backside so I don't have to fight the gravity of the massive one piece intermediate gear. :thinking: That thing tried to take my fingers off. :doah:

5. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

put it in the freezer the night before re-assembly...

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Put what in the freezer?

7. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

he wants u to put all u have on that bench into a freezer.. that way the parts shrink a lil and fit together better or well easier.

WOO HOO 1000posts

8. Confedneck79K30

lol, the shaft you're worried about not fitting because its tight.,.. it will contract a little

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I could through the shaft in, would probably help those bearings slide onto it a little easier. Still gonna be hard to get everything to stay in the right spot. I managed to mangle a shim just taking it apart. Oh well, I've done more difficult things I suppose. Maybe it won't be as hard as I think. Just have to wait for the case to be bored.

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah Shrinkage!!!

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So you're telling me that if I put my shaft in the freezer, there will be shrinkage? :yikes: :crazy: :p:

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

so guys..:D

what your all saying that if I put my shaft in the freezer it fits in the hole easier?

interesting, might have to try that:crazy:

edit..he beat me to it, lol

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Anyone know anything about this?

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Warning, these are professional drivers on a closed race course. Do not attempt this on public highways.:haha:

15. Confedneck79K30

hell you wanted help?? sorry i initiated the threadjack

16. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bring the shaft and bearing to a tranny shop and ask them if they have a snap ring that will work. IIRC one from a 208/241 will work.

17. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you want fast shrinkage, just throw it in the pool. That always works for me! :laugh:

18. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

yep, putting the shaft in the freezer will make the shaft shrink, and if possible put the bearing that goes on it in an oven that will cause expansion, but make sure you get bearing where it goes b4 everything cools or warms because it will be there.

when i used to work in a machine shop and we rebuilt gear boxes, we had this tool that was a piece of square stock about an inch square that had a u shaped stand and the 1'' stock sat on top of the u....

you picked up the piece of stock and slide it thru the bearing and replaced it on the stand, plug it in and turn it on and it became a electromag that vibrated and it would sit there and humm and it actually rotated the bearing, just because of the vibration i guess, but after about 20 min the bearing would be so hot you couldn't touch it, you had to use gloves and take it off slip it on the shaft to where it goes pretty quick, hold it til it cooled alittle and it would shrink down and stick itself on the shaft. i mean tight!! tighter than you could drive it on with a bfh and a bdp(bull dic punch), without the chance of harming the bearing.

i have a toaster oven in my shop that i use to heat parts that are (i'm at a loss for words, i can't think what it is called, i know it starts with a c...and means its when two things are held together just because of tolerance. its a common term. compression fit, that don't sound right tho, please someone put it out there or it will bother me the rest of the night)

but yea its physics, works on everything except water, which contracts as it cools also, but once it hits 34 degrees it starts expanding, where as all other matter as it gets colder the molecules get closer together, and as things heat up the molecules become further apart!

man what is the word....contact fit....compression fit, maybe, sum1 please straighten my still slightly altered brain, constriction fit....dam it man, this is why you don't drink while working on your rig, wait til afterwards!!

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Don't know about the "a c", but there's such a thing as "interference fit" on the order in fractions of a thousandth, depending on materials and the kind of service required. :D

20. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

that'll work, but there is another word that means the same thing basicly that starts witt a "C", but it not that important, its the same as interference fit,didn't think of that, thanks