Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What have I gotten Myself into? Trying to repair rusted tail/floor...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foxman, Oct 21, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Well I tore everything out of the back and I can't believe how much metal is missing. The body mounts are completely rusted around so every bump I hit in the road makes the body slam into the frame. not to mention the exhaust/road noise having no carpetting and or insulation. I 've read the info in the tech section on rusted floor repair, but I was looking for some more tips. I have lmited time to spend, but must use the truck as my daily driver... my tail pan section is completely gone so I was going to use the 2x2 steel tubing to re bolt it to the frame. I had to weld the tail gate to the bed sides to stop it from flopping around or risk it falling off. What do I do about the body mounts, they are trashed from what I can see, and if I try to put metal under there and re bolt them down, the rear section is pretty spungey anyway... any pics of previous projects would help. I'll even try to post some pisc so that yall have a better Idea of what I'm talking about. I've got a gassless mig welder and a grinder, and access to sheet steel. I'd rather not have to spend the money on the floor but will if it's the only way. thanks fo rthe help....

also where do I go for the body mounts? anything elyse I can use as good?
    Jeremy

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

well, my rear was about as trashed and it took several weeks for me to fix but it is not a dd. Here is how I fixed a rotted crossmember that wasn't supporting the body bushings. Here Is my floor rot in the back. The tailpan was pretty hashed. Rather than turn the bed into 1 big patch I went the way of replacing the entire floor, wheelwells and tailpan with one salvaged from an 86 military blazer Here it is installed.

This link shows all my albums if you wanna look through em. I did a lot of rust repair.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If you can find them its about the easiest way to go but the factory floor pan is about $500 and includes the tailpan clean up to the lip in front of the rear seat. I put on in my blazer 6 or 7 years ago, took about 2 days.
    you already have everything pulled thats a start. I took an air hammer and popped all the welds on the side panels and wheel wells. Unbolted the front lip and putlifted the body a little and brought the old floor out in a couple peices (easier to do if the top is off). I took a grinder and cleaned up all the spots I hammered the welds out, then painted all the edges. Next day I dropped all the body mount bushings on and two of us lifted the new floor into place, I rebolted it at the front, pulled the fender sides in in the back, remeasured everything to make sure it was squared up then I drilled threw the wheel wells into the new bed floor lips and bolted them together, dropped the floor bolts threw the body bushing, then I started a welding fest! Here's some pics here