Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What have y'all done about your parking brake cables?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Aug 12, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

What have y\'all done about your parking brake cables?

After I lifted my truck 6" and lowered my t-case, the parking brake cable that runs under the t-case is in the way. it has even started to wear a groove into the t-case. What have you guys done in order to keep your parking brake?

2. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

Re: What have y\'all done about your parking brake cables?

my truck's got the same problem, groove and all. i'm not sure how long it's been like that, but i've just let it be. is this something we should fix?

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If it were me I'd make some drop brackets off the frame where the /forums/images/icons/wink.gif old ones hook it to the frame just make longer hooks that bend down...

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Run the cable through a piece of rubber hose si it moves around inside that instead of rubbign the case.

5. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I have a feeling that if it can rub through the metal it would cut through the rubber tubes. I think maybe ill just rig it so the brake only holds the drivers side wheel. I'd rather have one parking brake then, not using it at all.

6. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I just did away with the parking brake completely /forums/images/icons/smile.gif after the disc brakes were installed, i didnt have much choice.

i think the rubber hose thing is a good idea. grease the inside and I bet it will last quite a while.

mike

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Not required for me. So I cut them off. I am going to go to a tcase mounted p-brake when the new tcase is in.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Run the cable through a piece of brake or fuel hard line, put that inside a rubber hose with grease. Rubber hose should be shorter than hard line and placed against the case. It will take a long time for the cable to eat through the fuel line. When it starts biting into the tube, the grease on between the rubber and tube might allow the tube to slide in the hose which would last a very long time. Hmm, maybe a simple ferrule (swag) on each side of the tube to make sure the tube is moving with the cable? Just a thought...