Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What have ya'll found to be the best at polishing aluminum wheels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Feb 27, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

What have ya\'ll found to be the best at polishing aluminum wheels?

I haven't a clue as to what's on them. Tar perhaps? Any suggestions?

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

2. Texas76

Texas76 Registered Member

Re: What have ya\'ll found to be the best at polishing aluminum wheels?

Use "Mother's" aluminum polish. You can get it at any Harley Davidson shop. It works great.

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

SIMMACHROME! This has to be some of the greatest metal polish I've ever used. It does about anything with great results, brass, chrome, alumminum, its awesome. It comes in a little metal tooth paste like tube so it takes along time to do a big spot. Its kinda hard to get though, you can't walk done to K-mart and get some but any well stock auto/bike store shold have some. Them damn Germans sure can make some good polish, and tanks, lol....wonder if Rene is having fun now?

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

A buffer, and alot of polish.

<font color=blue> I'm down with the clown, till I'm dead in the ground.</font color=blue>

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I agree with Simachrome - if you can get it and afford it. We use it for injection mold polishing, very spendy but the best stuff you can find. Otherwise Mother's is the next best choice for sure.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

6. fastzilla

fastzilla Registered Member

If its just tar then mineral spirits...If they are dingey and hazey then attack them with a green scotchbrite pad, you'll be amazed. Follow up with a cream type polish, Mothers (cheapest), or Semichrome (Best) they both work good just takes a little longer with the Mothers. I had those 15" rounded 5 spoke aluminum deep dish wheels that were so popular a few years ago. I got tired of using elbow grease so out came the power tools, grunt, grunt, grunt [​IMG] I used a 3/8" paddle bit it an A/C drill. wrapped a red shop towel around the bit, slabbed on a bunch of mothers, again 4-6 oz for $3, you will use alot for 4 wheels, and went to town.... I could have shaven in the mirror like finish....
    Eddie

7. Dragworm

Dragworm Registered Member

The one thing you have to watch out for is a finish on the wheels. I had a car in college I was going to polish the wheels on and ended up taking the clear coat type finish off. It doesn't kill the wheel but they looked less shiny. Yours might not have anything like that on them but you might check just in case.

So, which one of you is the brains of the operation?
    To tell you the truth it's not exactly a "brains" type operation.