Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What have you paid for your manual tranny conversion parts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Oct 8, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I have been having trouble finding a complete parts truck for my K5 project. I did find a guy who would sell me everything needed to swap a 4 speed and NP205 in for $600. The parts included are:

bellhousing
    SM465
    NP205
    clutch pedal assembly
    clutch linkages
    t-case shifter
    crossmember

Is that more or less what you guys have paid? Thanks.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I bought the entire pedal/linkage assembly (from dash bracket to fork) for $25 at a local u-pull-it.

3. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

That is way too high! I've bought complete trucks for 1/4 of that price, and everything required for the conversion was there, plus the rest of the truck! In West Virginia, there should be all kinds of junked, rusted, abandoned Chevy trucks all over the place to pick through! Keep looking you can find better prices elsewhere.

Although its nice to get all the parts from one truck, the conversion is so easy that you can pick up various parts here and there and still beat the $600 by far!

4. steelsoldiers

I kinda figured it was way overpriced. Thanks for your input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That's why I like CK5, you guys keep me from getting raped when buying used parts, among other things.

5. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i paid 500 for a complete running driving 'donor' rig. then i parted it out and made 350 off the axles alone!

6. steelsoldiers

Nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think that may be a better course of action for me. I have been holding out for a one-ton donor rig, but they have been few and pricey. I could probably get a half-ton, 4x4, 4-speed, rusty as all get out for around $500. If it was running and driving, heck I could swap my TH400 and NP208 in it and sell the whole truck. I may just keep my TH400 for another project and part out the half-ton instead. I'll check the trader tonight for a rust bucket. Great ideas guys, keep 'em coming. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

In order to make sure I get the SM465/NP205 I need to get a pre-'80 1/2-ton with part time 4x4, right?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It doesn't really matter what year you get.

But IMO, and a few others, the hydraulic setup is the one to get, and that's '85+. Harder to find (especially with the 205) but they are out there.

You can always get the hydraulic stuff out of one truck, and the tranny/t-case/adapter (and crossmember if necessary) out of another truck.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I payed $200 for my 465/205 setup and $50 for my first set of pedals. They sucked so I got another set that I got for free.

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I paid $500, but I feel like I got a good deal because the tranny was rebuilt and the t-case was gone through and resealed. That includes clutch and all parts for swap.

10. steelsoldiers

[ QUOTE ]
    It doesn't really matter what year you get.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was under the impression that only the pre-80 4-speed 1/2 ton trucks came with a NP205

[ QUOTE ]
    But IMO, and a few others, the hydraulic setup is the one to get, and that's '85+. Harder to find (especially with the 205) but they are out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is that because off-road flex doesn't effect it like it does the manual linkage?

[ QUOTE ]
    You can always get the hydraulic stuff out of one truck, and the tranny/t-case/adapter (and crossmember if necessary) out of another truck.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Good point fellas. A new ad bulletin comes out every tuesday and I run up to the 7-11 with hopes of finding truck goodies /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif