Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What have you used to set you tub on?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Esteban86K5, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I am getting another Blazer and i want to take the tub off to do some work on the frame. I was wondering what you guys have used to set your tub on? I could probably just make a steel rack, but I wanted to see what some of you have done. Keep in mind it needs to be sturdy and safe as i don't want my kids or dogs to get smashed under it. :D

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Possibly empty 30 or 55 gallon steel barrels (with no dents in the side). I got a bunch of them about a year ago to set stuff on but haven't had to use them yet so I don't know how sturdy it would be, I would think that it should be ok.

3. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

The ground....

4. Esteban86K5

HAHAHA.....I'd like to keep it OFF the GROUND so that I can work on it too.:p:

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

ive seen people build "dolleys" out of 2x4 wood and some casters. Prob could do the same out of steel, but wood is cheaper and you could just take the screws out. Make it like a table just minus the top. maybe use 4x4s for the legs, and just tie them together with the 2x4s. Put the casters on it so that you can roll it around.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I used 55 gallon drums before too--also to hold a slide in camper up when it was not on the truck(I dont trust just the jacks when its windy!).You could build some sturdy sawhorses,metal pipe will be safer than wood--I've seen guys use large logs cut to length with a chainsaw and 2x6's nailed across them like an "X" to brace them from tipping--use logs at least a foot in diameter for stability..

At the salvage yard we used rims,stacking a larger one like a 16 inch,then a 15,14.13 inch,that worked very well on solid cement floors or hard ground(put plywood under them first on dirt)--but you probably dont have a lot of rims lying around..

Another idea is use shipping pallets you can usually get for free if you know where to ask--I heat my shop with them,a local monument (gravestone)place gets the granite slabs shipped in from europe,and the have to use very sturdy pallets for stone--and its all hardwood --I never tealized how many people die every day,til I started getting wood there--the pile never seems to go down!!...I'd say pallets would be the safest and easiest things to get and use--try a local factory or even Wal-Mart,or a UPS or Fed-Ec place--you should be able to score some "freebies":)

7. Esteban86K5

I'm liking the Pallet Idea. Free and sturdy if stacked correctly. I can't put casters on it since it will be on dirt and the 55 gallon drums would be too high unless i cut the in half. Well now that i think about it I can get someof those free too. Maybe I'll get some and cut them in half. Decisions, decision.

Thanks for all the replies.:D

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I set mine on rail road ties.... worked great......

9. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i have alot of steel laying around that im going to use to make a table type thing out of. shouldnt be hard and it should be plenty stable.

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I built braces out of 2x6 and 2x4's that you can kind of see on my webshots album. Later I put HD casters under it and was able to roll the tub around the side yard which was convenient. I actually have them now in the backyard just sitting if you ever came up my way you could have them.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Doesn't the Webslut still have that rack he made for the Willy's?

12. Esteban86K5

Yes but the only problem is that he has a WILLY'S on it.

13. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i made some strong saw horses to put my bed and cab on, i didnt make them wide enough so the bed fell off.

ive also seen people use boat jackstands too, that way you can lower/raise it if needed

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

hehe I just did this not to long ago
    *gasp* advice from Steve!!
    What I personally did was hoisted it up high enough to get the chassis out from under it, then I used a chain hoist and an engine hoist to lower it down to a dolly sort of thing I have. It's 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, with casters on each corner. Then I put 10' (or longer, didn't measure) 4x6's across underneaath the body.
    It's been sitting like that for a month now, and it just dented a bit (rust area) so its real sturdy. but my advice, DON'T roll the dolly with the body on if the ground is wet... I got the wheels buried...not fun!!

15. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

On Trucks I remember Stacey made some real sturdy sawhorses, when he got done he set the willys tub on it and they held. Just an Idea