Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What HD fan clutch to buy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Apr 20, 2006.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Need to replace the fan clutch and maybe fan in my 87 k5, anyone have the part numbers/place to get an hd fan clutch and should I upgrade to an hd fan blade or are they the same thing. Thanks.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

IMHO, there is no reason not to upgrade to the biggest fan & clutch available on a trail truck.

Use a 7 blade fan and a fan clutch from a 83 K30 dually w/ 4.56's - the gear ratio makes a difference. :thumb:

3. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Will that bolt right up to my pully and fit the stock fan shroud? I have yet to have probs on the trial...my main probs are towing my boat up hills at 10-15mph in 100deg weather. Gonna put a fan on my tranny cooler to hopefully fix that part of the prob...but I dont get enough air through the raditor at low speeds with the stock w/shot clutch.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I picked the heaviest duty one that I could find in the catalog, along with the 4.56 gear ratio option. Autozone part number 922784. It seems to always engage at idle, regardless of temp. Should be awesome on the trail!

BTW, that part number is for a REVERSE clutch, used with the full serpentine belt. It won't work correctly if your water pump turns the standard direction. They're direction specific.

5. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

So I need to ask for a 4.56 gear hd none serp clutch similar to the 922784? What about the blades? Can I bolt my 5 blade up or should I just get a 7 blade?

6. nvrenuf

The 5 blade fan will work if that's what you've got but the 7 blade is better.

Ask for a fan clutch for this application -
    Any variation from that exact application will not be "the ultimate".

7. HarryH3

Unless your rig requires a reverse rotation clutch. :rolleyes:

8. nvrenuf

This question was specific to an 87 K5 which I do not believe would be a reverse set up.

9. HarryH3

87 was a combo year. Part serpentine and part V-belt, but I can't remember which way the water pump rotates. Sold my '87 a long time ago...

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

To the best of my knowledge 1987 had a multi-groove belt along with regular V-belts not a serpentine belt set up . Full serp. belt system did not appear until a year or two later on the solid axle trucks.

Tom

11. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Yup, mine is standard rotation v-belt setup. Can I get a 7 blade fan at autozone or do I need to grab one from the dealer?

12. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The last time I tried to get a seven blade fan from GM it was supersceeded(sp) with a heavier pitched five blade fan. I just get good used seven blades from the bone yards when I find them.
    Just look at the pitch of the blades on the five or seven blade fans and get the one with the most pitch. The fan clutch we are talking about will pull masive air with either fan.

Tom

13. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I just checked out autozone and they have 2 part numbers one for a heavy duty (same pn for my 87 as the 1 ton 83) and one for a premium heavy duty..whats the difference if any?...other than price

14. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Just got a Haden severe duty fan clutch from my buddy at the chevy dealer...sweet...installing this afternoon. Thanks for the help guys.

15. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you do a lot of deep water crossing dump the clutch fanand get a electric.i killed 3 fan clutches last summer due to water crossings.i regularly cross 3-5' deep water.