Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What headers are you all using?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by mikey_d05, Dec 7, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks like I picked up a Toyota (yeah, I know) frame to start my next build on. Doesn't relate directly to people running V8's in S10's but I've heard a lot of the popular conversion headers can be used on 'Yotas too.

Sooo...what did you guys use for headers or manifolds when you put an SBC in your S10?

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

ill be using hedman shorties

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have hedman shorties. Wish I could go long tube but space is just too limited. Maybe if I ever build a new front frame with coilovers like I want to I will fab up some long tubes outside the frame rails.

With my JTR engine mounts pushed all the way back, the passenger side hedman header would not go on without heavy firewall bashing. Couldn't get one bellhousing bolt in as well. I moved the engine forward to gain the clearance back. They fit nicely, but the passenger side exhaust pipe will be pretty close to the floorboard, going to require some bashing.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

5. mikey_d05

Stupid question for you all...are all the headers I see that dump outside of the frame rails custom jobs? Other than the steering and possibly the shocks I think this would make things much easier in the fit department.

You wouldn't be able to retain your inners but it's probably not gonna have a full front clip on it anyways.

6. gauder

gauder Banned

I ran the Sanderson headers on my last V8 S-10. Thicker flanges and machined surface, no need for exhaust gaskets only hi-temp sealer. From now on I build my own though.

header2.JPG

header1.JPG

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I really want to try my hand at building mine. Agreed on the gasket thing. haven't run them in a long time.

8. mikey_d05

Anybody know of an off the shelf header the dumps outside the frame rails or are they all custom stuff? Also, what's the width outside to outside of an S10 frame from the firewall forward?