Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What headers do I need??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frogg89, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

I have been thinking of getting some headers and I have been told to get the 81 to 87 Chevy Blazer headers but then I have been told that I have the 88-95 engine so I have to get headers that fit those year trucks!! Which ones are the right ones for my 89?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Thanks, Ken

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just get the headers suited to the year of the truck and if you have emissions get them A.I.R ready. There should be no difference in ports or bolt holes on small block (stock production!!) chevy's in trucks or cars. The only differences are the sizes and shapes to clear different chassis and accessories. I even think that vortec heads accepst regular headers (someone correct me if needed).

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's Thorley's TRI-Y /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I think what you're being told is that you should get the headers for an 88-95 truck, not a Blazer/Jimmy. For some reason most companies only have listings for trucks and make the mistake of lumping Blazers/Jimmys into the same year, which isn't correct. If in doubt just tell them it's for an 87 full size Blazer, that way even if they look it up for a truck application it'll still be right. This works about 99% of the time since Blazers didn't change much from 81-91.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need to get them for the year and make of YOUR vehicle and not the year of the engine. The truck frames changed shape in 88 with the body change and IFS front suspension. You can make the 88 and later headers work if you grind on the driver side frame rail about a 1/4" or so to clear the collector flange on the header. At least thats what I did with a 76 blazer using Gibson shorty headers for the 88-95 truck.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All of the major manufacturers I know of for headers, make them to fit your year K5. Almost any K5 header will (or should) fit, but since there are ones made specifically for your truck, go with those.

7. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

Thanks a lot guys, the input helps!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I had an 89 engine in my 87 truck. I ran 87 headers. The 87 up engines the only diff's that I know of is 1pc rear main seal, tbi and centerbolt valve covers. Headers off 81 350 should (SHOULD!) fit say a 91 K5 w/ a 350

9. dyeager535

Only problem on the later trucks I believe is the AIR fittings. Not sure if that ever got totally figured out, but I think some TBI trucks didn't have AIR, some had one "nozzle" per manifold, and yet others have 4 "nozzles" per manifold.

'81-up headers will work, but I doubt many will come equipped for the O2 sensor or AIR, especially if you specify '81-86.

It really doesn't matter, when you actually look at the header companies online catalogs, they say how they are setup.

10. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

try stans headers www.stansheaders.com they're the same tri-y design as thorley's only you can get the in either 1/4" or 3/8" thick flanges, and they come with n the ball and socket type collector connection. I just got a set and they kick ass.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifjake

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

all the 454's ive seen w/ air have 4 nozzles. All of the SB's w/ air ive seen have 1 air inj pipe. I believe all TBI trucks except those speicified w/ heavy duty emissions (1 tons some 3/4 burbs and some 3/4 truck) have AIR. Even those trucks MAY have had air at some point.

12. dyeager535

What about the CA trucks though? They always had more than everyone else, wouldn't be surprised if they had 4 tubes per side.

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I cant see GM making special manifolds for the few trucks that would be CA. May have, just cant see it. I dont have any knowledge of the CA trucks, too screwed up to try to learn lol.