Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Headers & Mufflers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Sep 23, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I'm saving up for a true dual exaust right now. I was wondering, ya'll with header exausts, or anyone who knows a bit about 'em, should I get shortie headers, or just regular ones? I'm gonna get the exaust bent and assembled at a shop, so I guess shorties or reg ones wouldn't matter much. I also need to know what kind mufflers I should get. I was thinking flowmaster 50 series, but they're quite expensive. I want something that's somewhat loud, yet I can hear my radio over without having to blast it. The 40 series are a bit too loud for me. Suggestions, anyone?

[​IMG]

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I went with the regular length Flo-tech headers and the 3 chamber flowmasters on mine. That was 3 years ago and the headers and muflers are still in awesome shape. I can hear my radio on the freeway if it is cranked, but thats not the fault of the mufflers, my radio sucks and I only have the dash speakers working right now. Also I have no carpet and a little extra ventilation of the rear floor (a la mother nature)[​IMG] so thats where most of the noise comes from. Over all I like the 3 chamber flowmasters, they have a great sound to them without being annoying, and they are well built. I think they will probably work out cheaper in the long run because of how long they are lasting.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Heavy Chevy

Heavy Chevy Registered Member

Hooker's Super Comp.,cross-over as close the reducer as possibl,& flowmasters.

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have a set of cheap hooker headers on mine.They fit in easily and I can change the plugs with no problems.I had an exhaust shop put the pipes on and glass packs.I ran them out the back with tips angled down and it sounds pretty good when your on it but quite while cruising.I think it cost me like $340 for the shop and the headers I got as part payment for some boggers I sold.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

http://www.thorleyheaders.com is one of the best choices. A bit pricey, but a lifetime warranty and a great product make it all worth it. And they seem to fit better than all the other's i've seen. And buy a quality muffler(s), flowmaster is a great choice. There is a big difference in 50->40 series, i've had both on my truck. If you do'nt want to wake up the 5-O all the time, go with the 50 series. They sound very nice, to me.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I have Flowtech Afterburners and two Flowmaster 40 series in a dual 2.5" system with H-pipes. I don't think the 40 series are too loud, but you can get the 50 series.

Are you sure they didn't quote you the Deltaflow Flomasters? because those are much more expensive. I think I got my 40s for about $40 each.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]