Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What headers on 85 are legal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jun 13, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am soon replacing my weak/pathetic 305 in my 85 Jimmy with a 350. I plan to go with the Edelbrock performer intake and maybe a q-jet or just rebuild my stock Quadra. I would like to replace the stock exhaust manifold with headers. But, I want to stay emissions legal (Texas). My current appears to have some sort of smog injectors (I have pipes coming from the exhaust manifold). Can anyone recommend a legal set of headers I can get?

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Alright! A fellow Texan!!

Do you have an O2 sensor on your truck? That's really the only difference between street legal headers and just headers. I have some Edelbrock headers on the camaro and it has a place for the O2 sensor which make them street legal. My blazer doesn't have to have the O2 cause it's too old for it [​IMG].

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

How would I tell? The only thing I have seen is on the front and rear pipes of the exhaust manifold, I have a pipe that comes out of the top of the exhaust pipes and wraps somewhere. I think it goes to my canister. But, these are molded as part of the exhaust header. If this doesn't explain it, I can take a pic of it and post.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You'd prolly be able to see it from underneath the truck better. It will be screwed into the exhaust pipe prolly before the y-pipe comes together and it will resemble a spark plug and it will have a little wire coming off it and going up to the carb. I wish I had a pic for you, but I don't have one on mine! [​IMG]

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats AIR injection. If visual test, you will fail without them. I believe the Edelbrock TES headers have these AIR injection ports already there. All the smog legal headers for a truck your year will have them. (or should, since they are required) If you don't go crazy with cam and carb, you should pass a sniffer only as long as the motor and carb are in tune, wihtout AIR. I passed without AIR or a Cat converter, but that was with a stock 305.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah Edelbrock has some emissions legal headers but they're pretty pricey!

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

7. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

If you want to get picky, ANY alteration of the emissions system from stock is a violation of the Federal Clean Air Act, and hence illegal. Haven't really seen it enforced though (at least around here) but fortunately we don't have an emissions standard up here!! [​IMG]

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Very simple answer...

If the headers have a "CARB E.O. Number" for the vehicle they are made for, then they are emissions-legal on that vehicle in ALL 50 states.
    "CARB E.O."--California Air Resources Board Exemption Order--means they've been tested and proven to not negatively affect emissions.

If the part has an E.O. number, it should come with a sticker or certificate of some sort to prove it at inspection time. Just be sure to have that in the vehicle when it's time for inspection.

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

9. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Since you have a carb., you do not have a O2 sincer. Those are for fuel injection models. I just put a set of Thorly's on my 85 Burben. Yes they are pricy, but in my opinon, they are also the best header out.

<font color=red>Land use issues are the heart of our sport.
    Get involved or lose the sport.</font color=red>

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got plain old Hedmans on my 85 - Unless you are subject to the annual inspection, just about anything will work.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have an 86... they are the same as an 85 as far as I can tell. I have a carb and an O2 sensor (but keep in mind I live in CA)... You can get the Edelbrock TES headers for your year off of the site http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status