Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What headers should I get?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OLDSTEEL, Mar 21, 2001.

1. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I have a 74 with a SB 350 and i'm looking for a good set of headers and a TBI conversion. I have seen all the adds, but what is the best for the money? I want a set of headers that do not require modification to install. As far as the TBI I want a new one.

Thanks in advance

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

2. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> go with Flowtech Afterburner Headers. the only mod u might have to make is the bottom a/c bracket and flowtech offers a new one to run with the headers.

<font color=green> 82 K5 - 350, 4" lift, 33's 3.08's
    I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm running an set of heddman headers. There were no mods, I got good torque, and they are not going to hit the axle when it starts flexing (expecially after a 4" lift I'm about to get).

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

If you get the heddmans, make sure you get the coated ones.

[​IMG]

5. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

I can just here Doofy sayin that, GOOD ONE!
    The Flowtechs are probably more reliable and if I'm not mistaken has a thicker mount plate but also more expensive!

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hmm, Flowtech ya say? I'd be interested in what others opnions are them too. I've only had word of mouth experience with the heddmans. Damn it, now you've got me second guessing myself when i want to get headers (way at the bottom because I've got to put in my 3.73 axles, new bed, tailgate, undercoating, and paint.)

[​IMG]

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

DEFINITELY Get the coating on Hedmans - I got plain painted and it looked like hell within 2 weeks. And I really don't feel like pulling them off to paint em' again (Header wrap coming soon).

[​IMG]

8. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> I got my Flowtech's from summit , and the one's i bought only cost me $145.00

<font color=green> 82 K5 - 350, 4" lift, 33's 3.08's
    I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Flowtechs, the ones with the goofy tube? I'm not sold on the the out-ofsequence thing. They probably flow better than manifolds and fit O.K., but if your going to put headers on, then do itt with the normal 4-onto-1 or tri-y styles. I can tell you that dyno-max headers fit O.K. but spark plug clearance sucks, and forget about the wires. Next set I get will be the Hookers or Hedman! (i'm not ripping into anyonr w/flow-techs, just my two cents worth)

10. K5_73

K5_73 Registered Member

I will have to second that opinion on Dynomax. I just bought their headers, the regular "BlackJack" style, and thought I would just paint them with some aluminum hot paint. It wasn't too fun watching those $6 cans of paint cook off of the headers after firing it up, and yes, I did follow the directions. Now my headers are somewhat the original color "black" and look like ass. I asked my buddies what they thought and they said that the regular painted ones aren't for looks, the paint just keeps 'em from rusting during shipping, and before it burns off. They told me what everyone here is saying.....spend the money to get the coated ones, so they'll look cool even after you install them. Oh yeah, and the plug access and wire routing sucks, not to mention the fact that one of the tubes is RIGHT next to my starter.....time to slap on a heat shield. Just my 2 cents.

Stupid hurts

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yeah your buds pretty much hit the nail on the head k5_73. If you want them to look pretty then shell out the bucks for coating. Personaly I don't mind the look of plain unpainted headers... heck are you one of these guys that sits around w/ their hood open all afternoon showing off the chrome engine in a rust bucket truck? Nobody can tell when you're going through the bogs [​IMG]. Dynomax usually requires some modification (curtouscy of a 3lb. hammer). I'm interested in the Flowtech afterburners myself... sound great... but it just seems everyone get confused between them and the regular flowtechs... Hooker is can't miss. Any extra cash laid out here saves you time...BIG TIME! Every set of Hookers I've picked up (approx...8 sets of HEADERS... lol had to define that[​IMG]) pretty much jump right into the car... even the ones for my old 89 F@#d Mustang gt that I threw a 351 in for a time went in w/out too much hassle... and that gives you litterally no room.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI