Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What headers to use? Exhaust currently hitting hydro clutch conversion!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by captaininsano, Apr 15, 2005.

1. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Wondering if anyone has run into this problem...my exhaust manifold/pipe runs right into the slave cylinder on my hydro clutch conversion on my SM465. I swapped in the SM465 where previously had a TH350.

Anyone know of shorty headers that work on a '78 K5 where the outlet points pretty much down, not angled back?

Oh the motor is a 350.

thanks!

Mark

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have to be shorties?

Could try some of those street rod headers that point right now. Just a matter of whether the motor mount or frame is in the way. Thats an issue with ramhorn manifolds(which go straight down in the middle).

My Dynomax headers clear the hydro setup just fine. Room to work even. They didn't clear the Z-Bar setup I had before though, had to dent them for clearance.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My hedman 69890 (Elites) clear the hydraulic setup with plenty of room to spare. Not shorties.

4. captaininsano

Cool, thanks! Do your headers hang down where they could get bashed by rocks or are they up high enough? Not that rocks should be in that vicinity, but I've seen some that hang below the frame rails, don't want that for sure.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I had my driveshaft meet the one primary, once. It clearanced and has been fine since. The other day one of my headers was touching the ground, but I was so stuck that was the least of my worries. Never rock rashed them. Barely hang below the frame and its so close to the spring that I don't see it being an issue.

I would recommend a set of Heddman ove my Dynocraps though. They aren't the worst headers but they aren't anything I'd buy again(paid $50 for them so wasn't passing them up).

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anyone know if Thorley would clear or not ?? I've always went with the highest quality headers.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[​IMG]

The exhaust pipe is about the height it actually sits, engine was tilted back as I was removing the tranny/t-case in that pic.

No worry for me hanging that low, but I know it is for some.

8. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

My headers had to be dented and a piece of the frame had to be cut for them to fit... they are Summit headers (non-branded Dynomax) and I should have spent the extra $100 to get the Truck headers which apparently are shorties and come down the same as a stock manifold on a 4x4...

9. captaininsano

Whoa that is hanging down more than I want.

Anyone know if the stock exhaust manifold from a manual truck is the same as an automatic? If they are different I could just swap the driver side and be done with it.

10. captaininsano

Whoa these are :pimp: Anyone know about these? I called Novak and they said they use Sanderson's with their conversions. These look sweet! Nothing hanging down and look like they will clear! Kinda pricy but if it takes care of all the issues worth it.

[​IMG]

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/pagesbypartnum/cc3.htm

11. mountain4x4

mountain4x4 Registered Member

No Sandersons!

I bought Sanderson center dump shortys once for a 350 Vortec Conversion I did to my Toyota fj55 many years ago. Not enough sparkplug clearance, I had to take both headers off and dent them up to fit (on Sanderson's recommendation), and they STILL burnt thru many a plug boot despite the ceramic coating. Then they cracked a couple of months later, I called Sanderson because they had a lifetime warranty, and they refused to help me because VORTEC ENGINES BURN TOO LEAN! I ordered them for the Vortec motor right from Sanderson! They didn't tell me they wouldn't clear the sparkplugs and your warranty is void if they go on a Vortec motor! I'd avoid them... bad product, bad customer service.

I'm not bashing Sanderson, I'm just stating what happened...

12. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i have the flowtech headers from autozone (75$ and lifetime warrenty), they fit fine, dont hang to low and i have plenty of room between the slave and the header