Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what headers work best?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tmanofcali, Jul 3, 2001.

1. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

we just dropped a new vortec ho350 in a 1985 k-5. question is-----what headers fit best in a 85? we tried using the stock manifolds for now, but the bolts do not line up. what headers have any of you used, and how was the fit? there is a bracket with a bump stop on it for the front diff. on the passenger side. did this get in the way at all? please help us with your feedback. thanks in advance for all your replies.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm got the Edelbrock Tubular Exhaust system and headers in my 89. I like them a lot. they make good power and torque, they have developed no leaks at all. (A common problem with many headers). They have all the emmision hookups and are also legal in california and have a CARB number. It will also bolt up to a stock exaust system.
    More info<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/tes.html>http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/tes.html</A>

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I also have Edelbrock TES headers... I paid $320 w/shipping for them. Came with the Y-pipe. I bought them from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.carpartsonsale.com>http://www.carpartsonsale.com</A> the part number I think is 6863... I'll have to find it and get back to you if that is wrong, but should fit your year... They also have some 6527... that are being made this summer... they fit in place of the stock manifold, check them out they seem nice from the preview pics! [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got Dynomax Jet-Hot coated headers. They're guarenteed never to rust, chip or any of that, but mine did anyway, so I've got to send them back to Jet-Hot for re-coating. Mud is what made my headers not look so "hot".

I'm not sure about the Edelbrock headers for our trucks but for most they're emissions headers that are for single exhaust. If I were you I'd run dual exhaust, it'll put single to shame both in performance and sound.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have heard excellent reviews of the Doug Thorleys and I have always loved my Hooker headers. I would definetly looking into those two for regular headers. Also I have heard interesting and good things about the "afterburners" from Flowtech (Holley). So they might be worth a look into.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Doug Thorleys are great haders and the only tri-ys I know of on the market. But can you afford the $600 price tag? I can't!

Tim

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Ya might want to ask Lara ( muddin 4 fun ) she knows what headers fly best!!! [​IMG] I'm not sure whats on mine, they were on it when I got it and they are real close to the shackle on the right (passengers) side. Other than that they fit good and lined up to my '97 Vortec motor fine. I'll try to find out what brand they are later today.

PURE INSANITY If ya can't stop,Smile as you go under!
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine too are close to that bolt on the passenger side. I cut off the extra part of the boat that was in the way so it fits better now.

Tim

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: the dual vs single exahust. A single 3" exahust flows better than a dual 2" exahust. The 3" has better voulumetric efficiency. You would at least have to go to 2 1/4" duals to get better flow. I have to admit, dual sounds better though.

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have the Ceramic Flowtechs on my 89....Hi Flo cats, and 2 1/2 pipes....I went with Flowtechs based on an article in 4WOR a while back.....they fit well...no clearance probs....good seal, and I can get to the plugs ok.....based on other articles I read, I have to second what Thunder said....I just like the way duals sound with no crossover....I used Dynomax mufflers....quiet enough to live with, with just enough sass in the stoplight Grand Prix.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I have plain-Jane $100 Hedmans on my 85 and they fit great - the only thing I would change is me having been smart enough to get ceramic coated instead of plain painted.

Elvis lives!!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You'd have to be an absolute idoit to put 2" pipe on a V8. The only people I see doing that are running straight pipes and they do it so they'll crack even more. I know a kid that runs 2 1/4" dual straights on a 2000 K3500 with a big block. He wonders why he lost so much power when he put the exhaust on.

Nearly everyone I see goes 2 1/2, but I went with 2 1/4 because it favors torque.

Tim

13. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

2 1/4" all the way IMO for V8 daily drivers... especially for tyorque. 2 1/2's will flow better w/ more compression and bigger heads, but most stock engines or ones w/ minor mods just lose some torque. I do like the 2 1/2" sound though... seem to be mellower. I agree the guys running 1 7/8's or 2" pipes open or w/ glasspacks found like crap!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

there is a bracket with a bump stop on it for the front diff. on the passenger side. did this get in the way at all?

<hr></blockquote>

You can remove this bracket very easily. I had one on an '86 short bed once and had to remove it to make the headers fit. No big deal either.

BTW, I like the Hedman Hedders. I have never had any trouble with them. They always seem to fit right the first time and bolt on easy too.

Do not buy cheap headers like Flow Tech's. Those suck. I have heard good stuff about the Flow Tech Afterburners, but do NOT get the standard 4-into-1 headers from them.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

15. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

my dad has had a set of thorley tri-y's for over ten years, and he loves them. They've held up very well, and this includes towing 8000 lbs a couple times a month. I've drove it quite a bit, and the thing has gobs of low end (383 has a lot to do with it), but the thorleys are a great truck header.

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Just to let you know...
    It might be difficult getting Jet-Hot to coat anything for a while. Their facility burned down, along with like 50 other businesses, in a HUGE industrial park fire about a month or two ago. It burned for 2-3 days.

Now, they may be contracting their work out to another coater, but I don't know about that.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm not too worried about it. I'm not going to remove my headers and park my truck any time soon anyway. I'll get them re-coated one day.

Thanks though.

Tim

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought Thorley Tri-Y's were around the $1000.00 range. I could be wrong, but if I can remember right, I thought I read somewhere in a magazine they were upwards of a grand!

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

19. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

In response to getting your stock manifolds to fit, the "log" style manifolds tend to shrink after all the heating and cooling cycles. Just for this problem Lisle makes "exhaust manifold expanders". I got mine at Napa. Work well, BUT ONLY SPREAD AS FAR AS YOU NEED TOO!!! I went that 1/4 turn too much and pop, cracked a manifold. I'm pretty sure I got the name of the manufactor right, Lisle.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

20. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Thorley's on my 85 Sub. They bolted up great. The only problem I have encountered was when I went to put my ORD Shackles on this week. The Pass side top bolt ran right into the collector. So, fire up the grinder...

I also had a set of coated Afterburners on the truck I had before the Suburban. We were able to get to all of the bolts fairly easy. The Thorley's were better for both bolt and plug access. I got my Thorley's through Sumitt. They were in the $350 Price range. My brother is running coated Hooker Comps on his 79 K20 and his 88 K5. He has had problems with the coating flaking on them, and they are mostly street vehicles.