Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what heads & intake for tbi 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dkodyssey, Feb 25, 2003.

1. dkodyssey

dkodyssey Registered Member

im looking for some good heads and intake for my tbi 350.i would like the heads complete with all the valves and stuff. for someone who know alot about cams,i want the comp "xtreme 4x4 cam kit"wich duration/lift wouild be the best for low and midrange torque?duration is the first set,lift is the second

206°/214°...432/.453"

210°/218°...447/.462"

218°/226°...462/.480"

226°/234°...480/.498"

thanks

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i build engines once and a while, and they have been known localy to be pretty mean. i have used lingenfelter, trickflow, edelbrock, dart, and brodix heads. also a lot of "reworked" heads. as far as the best head out there i would have to go with Air Flow Research heads. and for best bang for the buck, a nice set of L-98 corvette heads with 2.08/1.60 valves, heavy springs, and mild porting (assuming you want to go with a N/A setup) the best thing to do is call up AFR and see what the guys there say. they are very helpfull, and will even make you some custom heads if you want something special. The last set i ordered were a combonation of about 4 different heads, and were truely beautiful. and for 2260 a pair there worth every penny. good luck, and remember to make sure that all the components match the power range of what you want and one another.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Do a search in "The Garage" and "Second Generation" for vortec heads. You'll get a wealth of knowledge on the subject, and it truly is one of the best things you can do for a TBI. If you get good finds on the parts (heads, intake, etc) you could do this for $500 or less. Get you about 30-40 hp over stock. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are going to leave the computer stock I would go with the first cam you have listed.
    The stock chip in the computer doesn't like cams with over 214 degrees of duration. Besides it is probabally the best cam you have listed for low end.
    If you want a cam with more duration you may need to get a custom chip burned for the cam. Or you wont get the full potential out of it.
    If you go with a custom chip I like the second cam you have listed for low/midrange. It should work real well with some good heads and manifold.
    If you have the money AFR heads as said above are the way to go but they will cost ya. I think they also sell a manifold for them.
    If you are on more of a budget World SR Torquer 2 center bolt heads are a good choice.They are around 800 complete.
    Vortecs are also a good choice but you need the special TBI manifold that fits them. 300 bucks plus you have to plumb in the EGR. You can drill out your old TBI manifold to make it work with Vortecs. All you have to do is drill a couple of new holes for the diferent bolt pattern but I dont know how well that works. It may have leak problems. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    About the only performance manifolds made for TBI that I know of are made by Edelbrock and Weiland(holley). Of the 2 I think I like the Weiland a little better because it is a dual plane.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I think Thunder got most of it, but i'll chime in.

as previously stated, the TBI motors are uber-picky of thier cams. i too agree the first one *seems* to be the best one, but when you start adding heads (i suggest the Vortecs purely for "bang for the buck") and a manifold (you'll have to use a GMPP as the Vortecs have a different bolt pattern) and possibly headers (no need to choke this set up now with stock exhaust manifolds) and the cam selection would get reallllly tricky. i would speak at length with the cam manf. and figure out what is best for you and your ride. Just tooo many varibales right here for me to say "oh, you need a "Brand X" cam of "this" duration adn "this lift".

good luck! let us know what you find as far as combo's go! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif