Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what housing to use for hollow axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fixmy59bug, Aug 15, 2006.

1. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

Well, With the stripping of the 73 burban done and the suspension and rear axle ready to load into my 89 burban, I started thinking. I'd like to use the 73 from the "B" pillar back and make it into a matching trailer to tow behind the 89. However with the rear axle going into the 89, I would need something to go under the 73 shell. I obviously wouldn't need the differential and all that stuff, so I am looking for the lightest possible way to get 8 lugs in the rear so I can get a matching set of H2 wheels for the "trailer". What would I want to use? Possibly a 14bff member with no diff or axles? Since they are full floaters, they should hold them selves together, right? Or am I misunderstanding the concept of full floater?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Without the diff you can't move the oil around enough to get to the bearings I don't think . I thought even the full floaters have gear oil going to the hubs :thinking:

3. fixmy59bug

fixmy59bug Registered Member

Well, what I would be able to do is pull the pinion out, cap the hole off, and bolt the cover back on and fill it (to the proper level) with fluid. It should be OK.

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah that would work i suppose. why pull anything out of the axle? if its a weight issue, the weight is nice and low, and not sprung either.

5. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

just leave everything in it. Its not harming anything. No driveshaft going to the axle.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the 73 burb had a 14ff and it's going into your 89 then i would replace the 73 axle with a 14ff complete so in case you're towing and need parts you could always strip whatever and come back for the trailer later. If you decide to keep all the inners out that would be ok BUT grease the wheel bearings instead of gear oil which won't do anything without the axles installed.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

On our Cheep Trailer Project we used an old 19 spline D60 for the axle. MISF had a tube that the D60 axle tubes almost fit inside of. We cut the diff out of the middle (saved that for an axle build-up only to have it stolen) and I turned the outer parts of the axle tube to fit. Drilled some Rosette holes in the bigger tube and pushed the D60 outers in, then welded it up. I put fill & drain bungs in the middle of the big tube and that axle now has about 2 gallons of 80-90 in it.