Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What I did today: built a u-joint cannon and killed some noise.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Dec 8, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

along with installing some auxillary lights.

first up, i was replacing the ujoints in my front driveshaft cv. on the second joint, it seems i forgot to remove the c-clips before i put it in this c-clamp type press. well, the bottom of the press is open so that whatever you're pressing will come out. so i'm really torquing on this sucker and KABOOM - out flies the top of one of the caps from my u-joint. pretty cool actually. just glad i wasn't in line with the cap - woulda hurt. i just figured that the ujoint was in bad shape and seized up, so i did it again! KABOOM! :haha: here's a few pics.

[​IMG]

here's a shot of the busted cap...
    [​IMG]

and a close up... :D
    [​IMG]

then i decided i wanted to reduce engine noise since i'm driving about 2k miles next week in a span of 2 days. my cab is set up such that i have the tranny tunnel not carpeted (the rest of the floors are - i just truck-bed-linered my tranny tunnel), so if i need to remove the tunnel to do work, it's easily accessable. makes for a lot of noise tho. so i pulled the tunnel and got a can of spray foam and...

[​IMG]

:haha: works really well tho. the noise is reduced SIGNIFICANTLY!

then i decided to install some axillary lights so i can really see on the dark highways thru nevada.

[​IMG]

just some real cheap ones from walmart. they come in a kit w/ 2 lights and wiring and what not. they're hard to aim, but they'll work good once i get them aimed right. i dropped one and broke it's glass, so i had to buy a second kit to replace the glass. i'm going to use the remaining light to wire up a reverse light on a switch. :D

lots more projects on my plate for tomorrow too... i'm stoked that school is out!!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just hope the foam isn't flammable if it gets too warm under there from exhaust pipes.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

x2:eek1:

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

don't worry colby atleast you didn't splode a u-joint while installing the new one like i did... mine looked just like that but was the new one... :doah:

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

x3, Id be a bit weary of that foam under there myself...

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Agreed

7. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

x5 or something... I think the expandable foam is only good up to 140 degrees... I would scrape it off and just carpet the tunnel cover seperate. that way you can still remove it.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not sure I'd be worried about that as much as contamination, then fire.. Didn't bother downloading the pdf for "Great Stuff" (which is what that looks like) but I'm betting it's fire-resistence is pretty good... Thats an assumption on home fire codes, etc, I may be wrong..

But that looks like a great place for oil, etc to get trapped, etc... Bet that'd burn nice!

Ideally, you would have something as a smooth outer shell.. Creating a composite... Maybe that sandwiched between the top and a cut down, spare tranny tunnel... :crazy:

Foams like that are used frequently in marine applications.. I dig using the 2 part foams in gallon form, always fun watching that violent, chemical explosion... Gotta be careful in quantity tho, you'll blow things up... :eek1: :haha:

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, something designed to reflect heat would be better. There is quite a selection of sticky-backed foil-covered insulation stuff you can get from Summit/Jegs etc. That foam is probably going to melt (giving off god-knows-what for fumes) and/or catch fire.

j

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would think foil taping the ends and seams would be good.. Keep it as a smooth, wipable surface.. Thats how we insulate in alot of boat apps..

11. colbystephens

i'm sure they're not bent.

also, i put some flame to some extra spray foam, and it burned, but only when the the flame was directly applied to it. as soon as the flame was removed, it immediately stopped burning. i'm not too worried about it. i'll let you guys know if i die.

12. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

just happen to have a can of great stuff sitting next to me and it says:

cured foam is combustible and may present a fire hazard if exposed to flame or temperature above 240 F

13. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Looks like you have some ground issues with your headlights.

14. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

x2.

15. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

colby,
    I removed my u-joints in my d44 the same way. Lots of fun. Only one of my caps blew the end off, but always got a lound bang. I had an autozone loaner for my ball joints and decided to use it for the axle u-joints. I guess the c-clamp starts to spread and build up kenetic energy, and when the cap gives up, it releases a butt load of energy all at once. I was looking for holes in my drywall and windows.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Judging by what happened on your wheeling trip I'd say you did bend something. FWIW that front driveshaft was almost new, and had less than 8000 miles on it when you got it. IIRC it may have had as little as 200 miles on it actually turning. :crazy:

Rene

17. colbystephens

this is what i thought too at first, rene, but then the part that broke was not a part which had that load applied to it - it was the other ujoint in the cv. :dunno:

18. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

go take a match to some of that foam and see what happens...
    Oh and whats up w/ the contraption? I just take the snap rings out, put a big socket in one side and a smaller one in the other then crush that baby in the vise....it pops them out super easy.

*cough* pansy *cough*

:rolleyes:

Workingontherig010.jpg

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It must have got bound up somehow...did you ever get it shortened? It was built for my truck with the diff moved forward 1 1/4".

Rene

20. colbystephens

wow, that's a little bold for a guy who just learned how to put a different axle on his truck. you're speaking a bit out of your league. ever tried changing a u-joint in a cv joint? probably not since you're running an np208 t-case, iirc. it's a bit more involved than changing the one on the end of a driveshaft at the pinion. not difficult by any means, but it is different. the contraption is actually a tool designed to remove u-joints. also, if you don't have a vice, it makes the job more difficult, and thus the tool is helpful. so, you can take your newb arrogance elsewhere.

*cough* dipsh*t *cough*